Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pet Sold Without Owners Permission

I gave my puppy to someone who posted an ad that says wonderful things about herself including giving my pup a good home with the note that says she is willing to sign contracts. So we had agreed that she will sign a transfer of ownership contract. Only to find out shes selling my puppy two days after giving him to her, without signing the contract. She could not sign the contract because of the false name she provided me. She told me that he is in a good home and she did not have him anymore. I eventually found out what her real name was and who she sold my puppy to. But I feel that this person she supposedly sold him to is acting shady as well. I am not sure if this person really exist or if my puppy truly went to a good home. Its been lies after lies. Can I take back my pup back from whoever she sold him to? Any advice? Thanks.

Default Re: Pet Sold Without Owners Permission

iligan;704860]I gave my puppy to someone
    that pretty much says it all. If you gave ownership to them and did not restrict what they could do with the dog, that's the end of it.

so, did you put any restrictions on the transfer of ownership?

Any contract you wished to be enforced, should have been signed prior to the exchange. You are now out of luck.

She did not sign any contract because the name she gave us was not her real name. So she could not sign it. She mentioned on her ad that she and her "boyfriend" are willing to sign contracts. So we were not worried that we will just email her the contract after giving her the dog. She even said "Sure, I will sign it" when I emailed her about it. But soon after she asked a few more questions about the dog she stopped replying to my email, text, calls. Now shes emailing me and telling me it was hers and I could not do anything about it. Even if she sells it with or without our damn contract. Those are her words.

If you sign a contract you sign a contract, even if you claim to be Santa Claus. If you chose not to have her sign a contract because you were more concerned with proof of her name than with having her sign a contract, then you chose not to have her sign a contract.

Once you make a gift, it's a done deal. The recipient doesn't have to be grateful, and can treat the gift as their own property - because that's what it is.

The main reason why we chose to contact her because her ad says they are willing to sign a contract. Our did not say she can sell him that is why she did not sign it. Not to mention she giving us false name and hope. After we gave her the puppy we found an ad that has a number that says beware of this lady that makes money off of free dogs. after reading it and comparing it to the person we have been texting to.. was the same number. I talked to the one she sold him to and I have no means to prove if she either exist or it is the same lady that we gave it to.

- - - Updated - - -

Our contract didnt say she can sell him*

- - - Updated - - -

So there is really nothing I can do about it? Even if she deceived us? Thank you for taking your time reading this. You are wonderful.

- - - Updated - - -

If there is nothing more we could do about it, then this will be a lesson learned for us. If that lady she sold him to really does exist. Maybe there is a chance he is in a good home and that is all we ever wanted from the beginning. I have to somehow move on from this.. although it is very hard. Again, Thank you for your reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you both.

Questions: Do you have the physical ad from this person? Can you provide a details like : text messages, dates and subject of phone calls, what was discussed when you met to physically give her the dog and possibly any witnesses? And was it a gift? If there was any conversation/paperwork related to giving her a gift - if so, not good.

You can always contact your local shelter / ASPCA and bring it up to them. Sometimes Animal Control officers look into matters like these and give citations for things like cruelty and assorted violations. I would also assume that if she's been doing this for a while in your area - they know about her activities.

If you have a contract, you should see a lawyer. It matters NOT if the contract says she COULD sell the dog. If it didn't say she COULDN'T sell the dog, you have ZERO course of action. Even in some cases where the contract explicitly barred sale, you may find that an indefensible position in court. T

All I have is her phone number and name. I did not mention her the contract when I contacted her. I told her "we are willing to give him to you guys instead of returning it to the shelter" After we read her ad I knew she would just agree to signing them, because it was in her ad. Which she instantly did agree. I told my husband that nothing should go wrong since its said there that "they are willing to sign contracts" right after we got home.. thats when I emailed her about it. I have our text and emails and I was with my husband when we dropped him off. Her last email was her apologizing saying she did not have time for a pup. But did not put down her ad. Still asking for free puppies. Shes a horrible person.

Yes or no.

Do you have her agreement, signed or otherwise, that she will NOT sell the puppy?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast