No, Mr. Knowitall, the handbook does not specify dollar amount, just what I have written above. I guess he paid some pretty smart lawyers to get around that. I never expected the office I work out of would do a dirty, rotten, low down scheme to my pay. I guess I have to search for another job. A job where there are many employees and not just a few that never get to see each other, let alone talk to one another. I believe they set it up that way because if we ran into each other, then we would have a chance to talk to one another and perhaps organize. You see, Mr. Knowitall, I work for a "For Profit Home Healthcare Company" with many small offices located throughout the US. We are suppose to be their greatest assets. Liars. I know I was WRONGED, Mr. Knowitall, and I appreciate your knowledge in this matter I really do. But if they needed to cut my PTO dollar per hour amount for one reason or another, then they should have at least given me advanced notice, so I could decide whether or not to continue my employment with them. I'm an excellent employee and I know it! I may not have any rights by law, but I'll get them where I know it will hurt, by their reputation. IS THERE ANY LAW IN NEW JERSEY, MR. KNOWITALL, THAT STATES I CAN'T PUBLISH MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY EMPLOYER IF EVERYTHING I WRITE IS FACT, TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting cbg
View Post
You can't make a Federal case out of this, because the applicable laws are state, not Federal. Federal law does not care one whit if you get paid a single penny for vacation or PTO time, and Federal law makes it absolutely clear that any agreement to pay you for time you do not work is between you and the employer and has nothing whatsoever to do with them. As far as Federal law is concerned, you're on your own as far as the rate you get paid for PTO and you're on your own with regards to whether you ever get a raise. If you're getting paid $7.25 an hour or more for all hours worked and overtime when worked, Federal law is satisfied and will consider that you have been paid correctly. As for whether a man would be treated differently, you're going to need a whole lot more than you've posted here to make a supportable claim, Federal or otherwise.

An employee handbook is a guideline, not a law book. I reiterate, nowhere in the LAW does it say that you have to be paid for any time you do not work, with very limited exceptions that do not apply here. There is no law that says you have to get paid vacation, paid sick time, paid time off of any kind. If your employer does provide paid time off, there is no law that says it has to be at the same rate that you would be paid if you were working. Whether you receive paid time off, and if so at what rate, is SOLELY a determination made by your employer. You're getting WAY ahead of yourself since you haven't even inquired about this yet. But if you're looking to go in there guns blazing to show them the laws that say they CANNOT pay you at any rate but the exact rate you always get, you can't. There is no such law. As far as the law is concerned, they CAN. There is no law prohibiting them from doing so. With employment law, any action is legal unless there is a law that says specifically and in so many words says that it isn't. NO LAW EXISTS THAT SAYS THAT PTO HAS TO BE PAID AT THE SAME RATE AT WHICH YOU ARE NORMALLY PAID - OR AT ALL. I do not know how to make it any more clear than that. Your employment handbook is NOT a law.

At this point instead of "making a Federal case out of it" you need to ASK them (remembering an old adage about flies, honey and vinegar) whether or not it was a mistake. If they say it was not a mistake, then you need to ASK what the reasoning is. If there is currently a uniformly applied policy as to the payment of PTO and paying $24 instead of $31 is within that policy, then you're on your own there as far as state law goes, too. ONLY if this is a violation of the policy as it currently stands (and as already indicated, nothing you've posted to now suggests that your handbook indicates the rate at which the PTO will be paid) will a wage complaint be a possible resource. The law does not prohibit them from changing their policy, so the fact that you were paid at your current rate last time does not preclude the possibility that the policy has changed in the interim.

There are states that say that your employer cannot change the rate at which you are paid, or any of the terms and conditions under which you were hired, without written notice to you at least x days in advance. NJ is NOT one of those states. You'll see it stated in many threads that your employer cannot reduce your pay without notice but that is not a Federal law, it is a state law and one that not all states have. I can find nothing in the NJ statutes, and I looked, that suggests there is any such requirement in your state.

As for raises, neither Federal nor state law requires that you EVER get a raise except under the circumstances indicated. Currently both state and Federal minimum wage is $7.25. If you were earning $7.25 and minimum wage was raised by either the NJ state legislature or an act of Congress to $9, then you would have to get a raise from $7.25 to $9. Since you are already earning considerably more than that, barring a legally enforceable contract or CBA that expressly says otherwise (note that an employee handbook is neither) there are NO other circumstances, EVER, under which either Federal or state law cares if you get a raise or not.

Once again, you're going to need a WHOLE lot more than "I don't think they'd do this if I were a man" to support a gender discrimination claim.

Thank you, cbg, but like I said to Mr. Knowitall, I may have no rights in this matter, but I am a good employee and didn't deserve this one bit. Is there any law in the State of New Jersey that states I can't publicly tell my experience with this company if it is factual and truthful?