Default How to Find a Car With Only the VIN

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: California.

I was t-boned and it was the other person's fault. I filed a claim immediately and now it's been 3 weeks and every time I call her insurance (State Farm), they keep telling me they cannot make contact with the other party. I stupidly did not take down her name, phone # or address at the scene but I did get her insurance card that has the policy #, year, make, model, and VIN# and her dad's name on it. My question is would a private investigator or lawyer be able to get her address with her VIN# and her dad's name? I ask this because I asked State Farm for her contact information and they said it was against California state privacy laws for them to release that kind of information but it seems like they aren't even putting any effort into making contact with the other party. I asked them if it would be possible for them to send them a letter via Certified Mail and they declined. 3 weeks with no contact, you would think they would at least send a Certified Mail to them.

Default Re: Can a Private Investigator or Lawyer Be Able to Find a Person with a Car Vin

Quote Quoting gnozahs
    View Post
    I was t-boned and it was the other person's fault. I filed a claim immediately and now it's been 3 weeks and every time I call her insurance (State Farm), they keep telling me they cannot make contact with the other party. I stupidly did not take down her name, phone # or address at the scene but I did get her insurance card that has the policy #, year, make, model, and VIN# and her dad's name on it. My question is would a private investigator or lawyer be able to get her address with her VIN# and her dad's name?
    Yes.

Quote Quoting gnozahs
    View Post
    I ask this because I asked State Farm for her contact information and they said it was against California state privacy laws for them to release that kind of information but it seems like they aren't even putting any effort into making contact with the other party. I asked them if it would be possible for them to send them a letter via Certified Mail and they declined. 3 weeks with no contact, you would think they would at least send a Certified Mail to them.
    I doubt if it really has anything to do with privacy laws. It's more like they just don't want to help you. And, guess what, they don't have to. The other driver's insurance company is your adversary and it's obligation is only to its policyholder.

You're on your own to find the driver and file suit if you have to.

Default Re: Can a Private Investigator or Lawyer Be Able to Find a Person with a Car Vin

How about seeing what you can find through the NMVTIS?

If the person was driving her father's car, and it's registered to him at his address, the DMV records will produce his address - the question then becomes, does the at-fault driver live with him?

You have no collision coverage of your own? If you do, I would let your insurance company handle it.

Default Re: How to Find a Car With Only the VIN

A thought just occurred to me.

I recall a time when DMV's allowed individuals to obtain owner and driver information after an accident.

Try that first before you spend the money on a PI.

I suggest you buy a police report.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    A thought just occurred to me.

I recall a time when DMV's allowed individuals to obtain owner and driver information after an accident.

Try that first before you spend the money on a PI.
    I have sent in a form (INF 70 Request for record information) to the DMV requesting for the car title information, since I have the VIN#, about a week ago based on insurance reasons which is one of the valid reasons I could use according to the DMV form. Still waiting on if they mail me anything. They haven't cashed the personal check I attached with it ($5.00 fee) so I'm thinking they probably denied my request.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    How about seeing what you can find through the NMVTIS?

If the person was driving her father's car, and it's registered to him at his address, the DMV records will produce his address - the question then becomes, does the at-fault driver live with him?

You have no collision coverage of your own? If you do, I would let your insurance company handle it.
    I have ran a car history report already via AutoCheck but those reports do not show the owners contact information. Just smog history, city and state that is has been registered over the years, mileage and whatnot. I do not have collision coverage thus why I am stuck waiting on her insurance.

Quote Quoting gnozahs
    View Post
    I have sent in a form (INF 70 Request for record information) to the DMV requesting for the car title information, since I have the VIN#, about a week ago based on insurance reasons which is one of the valid reasons I could use according to the DMV form. Still waiting on if they mail me anything. They haven't cashed the personal check I attached with it ($5.00 fee) so I'm thinking they probably denied my request.
    I wouldn't think so.

It'd likely take a lot more than a week to run through the DMV bureaucracy.

Probably several weeks.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I wouldn't think so.

It'd likely take a lot more than a week to run through the DMV bureaucracy.

Probably several weeks.
    Ok. I'll see what happens.

Quote Quoting gnozahs
    View Post
    I have ran a car history report already via AutoCheck but those reports do not show the owners contact information. Just smog history, city and state that is has been registered over the years, mileage and whatnot. I do not have collision coverage thus why I am stuck waiting on her insurance.
    That is because this is the information that the DMV makes part of "public record"....

Quote Quoting gnozahs
    View Post
    I have sent in a form (INF 70 Request for record information) to the DMV requesting for the car title information
    Here is form INF-70, read the second paragraph on page (1)... It specifically states that the residence address/telephone number will not be released to an individual who asks for it. That IS confidential information that is protected by federal law.

Also, read second paragraph on page (3) under Confidential Residence Address Information... Again, same as above!

Quote Quoting gnozahs
    View Post
    based on insurance reasons which is one of the valid reasons I could use according to the DMV form.
    The "insurance reasons the DMV qualifies are described under Section D: "Purpose of Request - Permissible Uses" as follows:

Insurance Purposes: For use by an insurer or insurance support organization, or by a self insured entity, or its agents employees, or contractors in connection with claims investigation activities, anti-fraud activities, rating or underwriting

My guess is you don't qualify as being one of the above...

You may find that the only way to get the information you're seeking is by getting an attorney to submit a request on your behalf by filing a form INF1161E

You have the car owners name and you cannot find them? There are a zillion internet searches available, many for free. I would start there.

1. Sponsored Links