Default Ticket for No Reflector on Front of Motorcycle

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

Received a infraction today for no "reflector" on the rear of my motorcycle. (As did many other people on the way to the same event) in Kennewick Washington by KPD. I have Red, Reflective tape on the rear on my bike, and I fully believe that an actual night time picture will show I meet the requirements of the RCW,and I believe I will prevail in court, but I want to know how others have successfully defended against this...well...crap is all I can find, and it doesn't even come near addressing my true feeling as to the nonsense this is. Have others here received one of these nuisance tickets? ...It was really just used as an opportunity to stop me, and take pictures of me and my motorcycle...The law states: (3) Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall carry on the rear, either as part of the tail lamp or separately, at least one red reflector meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.060. Does the reflector that is actually part of the tail lamp lens make an effective argument? ( You know, the reflective part when you hit it with a light at night...or take a flash picture...or, that reflects or displays the characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within six hundred feet to one hundred feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps

RCW 46.37.525
    Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles Tail lamps, reflectors, and stop lamps.

(1) Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall have at least one tail lamp which shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two nor less than fifteen inches.

(2) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

(3) Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall carry on the rear, either as part of the tail lamp or separately, at least one red reflector meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.060. (See Below)

(4) Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.070.

[1977 ex.s. c 355 48.]

RCW 46.37.060
    Reflectors.

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors meeting the requirements of this section: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That vehicles of the types mentioned in RCW 46.37.090 shall be equipped with reflectors meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.110 and 46.37.120.

(2) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than fifteen inches nor more than seventy-two inches measured as set forth in RCW 46.37.030(2), and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within six hundred feet to one hundred feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps, except that reflectors on vehicles manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1970, shall be visible at night from all distances within three hundred and fifty feet to one hundred feet when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps.

Quality Input is greatly appreciated...If this should have been posted elsewhere, I apologize, please move to the appropriate section. Thank you...

Default Re: Washington State Rcw 46.37.525: No Reflector on Front of Motorcycle

Is your red reflector tape at least 15" and less than 72.01 inches above the ground? What does 46.37.090 define? How about 46.37.110 and 46.37.120? Fully believing and reality are not the same. Post a nighttime pic in an hour and let's see what REALITY dictates.

Default Re: Washington State Rcw 46.37.525: No Reflector on Front of Motorcycle

Quote Quoting Speedy Gonzalez
    View Post
    Is your red reflector tape at least 15" and less than 72.01 inches above the ground? What does 46.37.090 define? How about 46.37.110 and 46.37.120? Fully believing and reality are not the same. Post a nighttime pic in an hour and let's see what REALITY dictates.
    It is sold as Reflective Tape, it reflects, it is Red, and I believe that the Judge will see that, and agree that it meets with the requirements of the code... However, imho, is no "sure win", even when there should be. I have successfully argued and won may times in traffic court, but you never no for sure...So, until I hear the "Reality" of the Judge agreeing with my motion to dismiss, I will "believe" I will prevail.
    I'll post a picture some time...but I'm in no hurry. I won't even return the infraction with "Contested Hearing" box checked for another 12 days...

1. Sponsored Links