Default Can a Tubal Ligation Be Denied Based Upon the Woman's Age

My question involves public health law in the State of: Florida

Is there an age requirement for a 24 year old woman to have tubal ligation performed if she already has one child (approx. 1 y/o)?

I know of women who have been denied from having the procedure performed on them due to a supposed "law" that says women have to wait until approx. 30 years old to have this procedure done. I understand the various reasons why a doctor would be hesitant to fulfill a request of this nature to a young woman. However, I have been unable to come across this "law" which is said to prohibit women from having this procedure performed until at least 30 years of age.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Default Re: Is There an Age Requirement for Women to Have Tubal Ligation Performed

Is there an age requirement for a 24 year old woman to have tubal ligation performed if she already has one child (approx. 1 y/o)?
    No. The only age requirement to seek such surgery is that you be 18 - old enough for informed consent to surgery.

Many physicians do not perform sterilization surgery until a patient has passed a certain age because they are 1) idiots who think women don't know what they want or 2) fearful of a malpractice suit if the surgery is performed and the patient later wants children.

If a physician tells you that it's illegal to perform the surgery until you're 30, RUN to another physician. Also, tell everyone you know that the physician is a filthy liar, and file a complaint with your state's medical board. Additionally, if you're having difficulty finding a physician who respects your reproductive choice, get a referral from Planned Parenthood.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Is There an Age Requirement for Women to Have Tubal Ligation Performed

I didn't understand the logic either. If a male can get a vasectomy at 18, why wouldn't a woman be able to get one--especially after KNOWING what pregnancy + birth is like, and NOT wanting to go through it again. lol

Thank you so much for your insight. I always ask to "see the proof" and I have yet to come across anyone who can point out a law in any book that even hints at their being any sort of restrictions present on a woman's right to tubal ligation.

1. Sponsored Links