Default Can You Collect Judgement Money from a Pension

My question involves judgment recovery in the State of:Indiana

I was married for 21 yrs got a divorce in 2006. I didn't really have a good lawyer and went on my emotions cause of my kids so I didn't get much but I just wanted out of the marriage... I moved out and he got the house which I never wanted... he owed me the equity from the house when we sold the land we were selling... The market was bad and the land never sold... He lost his job in May 2011 due to the company cutting back... He couldn't find work and let the house go.... I am getting part of his pension when I retire but can I get the judgement money too from his pension since I am getting part of it anyway? He told me that he is going to try to just do yard work to make money.... I have not said anything to him about this new news about the judgement money.. He just got remarried and she has a good job so this is what he is going to do... I do have a lawyer(just got) but thought I would try to get some answers from other places... My lawyer told me I should get the judgement money plus interest... How much would the interest be?

Thank you..

Default Re: Judgement Money from Pension

Was this a cash judgment or was it a cash settlement based on the house sale?

What judgment?

Hi..... the judgement for the money he owes me from the equity from the home

do you have a judgement already? at no point in your story did you mention one.

Quote Quoting Dutch56
    View Post
    Hi..... the judgement for the money he owes me from the equity from the home
    Again, what judgment?

Did you sue him and get a judgment or is this something that was specified in your divorce decree.

If it's something that's in the divorce decree you'll have to quote the section about the equity word for word before anybody can make any helpful comments.

Bottom line, though, pensions are generally exempt from lawsuit judgments so the answer is probably going to be no, you can't get it out of his pension.

Same is true if the divorce decree didn't say so.

In my divorce he owed me half the equity from the home.... We had land that we tried selling to help both of us out and it was in the papers that it says when the land sells we split that money and the equity money that he owed me would come out of his money that he would have gotten from the land if it would have sold.... He let the house go so the bank has it now... I did get a lawyer and he told me last week that he checked on it and it is a judgement.. I thought since he let the house go I lost that.... I am going to get part of his pension when I retire.. I have my lawyer checking to see if I can get that money he owes me from his pension cause he has no job and is planning on just doing yard work... Really he has nothing that I could get it from...I was just wondering if it was possible to do it that way... Thank you

1. Sponsored Links