Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Land O Lakes, FL

    Post Considering Filing for Child Abandonment

    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Originally in West Virginia.

    I went through a custody battle with my ex over my son. It lasted about a year and a half, the case is now closed and has been since the first part of 2011. The original custody proceedings were held in West Virginia, my son and I were in the process of moving down to Florida (3 day till we moved) when I was served paper.

    My son and I have been living in Florida for almost 4 years, his father (he is the established father) has not seen him in over 2 years now, and he hasn't made any contact with my son in almost a year and a half (no phone calls, Skype, etc). However he did contact me via text message to verify if I claimed him on my taxes (all texts were saved). In the time that I was texting back and forth with him he never asked how our son was doing.

    I am considering transferring the custody case to where we now reside in Florida (not sure if I can?) and filing child abandonment against his father. I am not sure of Florida's laws about this and also West Virginia's laws about this.

    I am now engaged and my son considers my fiancÚ to bed his "Dad", seeing how he is the only man that he can remember and is always there. If I filed child abandonment charges against my son biological father would I have to have someone to adopt him (my fiancÚ for instance)?

    What does filing for child abandonment in the state of Florida mean??

    Please help, any answers would help me out so much!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Somewhere near Canada

    Default Re: Considering Filing for Child Abandonment

    You'll need to be married first. Then, once you've been married awhile, you can speak with a local adoption attorney to guide you further.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

    Do not microwave grapes

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Modification of Custody: Filing for Abandonment of a Child
    By kcarut in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 09:21 AM
  2. Custody and Visitation Issues: Filing Child Abandonment in Tennessee
    By tennmom in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM
  3. Filing Child Abandonment; What Happens
    By Nici in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 11:18 AM
  4. Filing For Sole Custody After Abandonment by Father
    By jillorange in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM
  5. Filing for Title or Abandonment of Mobile Home
    By wfwjr2000 in forum Personal Property
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Custody Lawyer
Get help for your custody case. Consult a divorce lawyer for free.