Default Florida Statute of Limitation for Collecting Medical Debt

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Florida

My father-in-law died October 2012. In January 2013, the attorney's office representing his small estate sent my husband a 'statement of claim' dating back to 2008. The claimant was from the local hospital for $1024 for medical services dating back to 2-19-2008. Isn't there some type of Statute of Limitation? The attorney office never advised my husband of any such Statute, is an attorney's receptionist even knowledgeable of this detail? I am curious, recalling from Suze Orman show, there is such a Statute regarding credit card debt...but would like to know if this is applicable to medical debt...and if so, what is the Florida Statute concerning medical debt.

Sincerely,
    H.

Default Re: Florida Statute of Limitation for Collecting Medical Debt

I believe the statute of limitations in Florida is five years from when the breach first occurred and was never caught back up. It looks like the hospital got their claim in just in time. If the estate is still being settled, the hospital will be paid from the estate. (if there is money to pay it.)

Default Re: Florida Statute of Limitation for Collecting Medical Debt

Is this from the hospital or a third party debt collector? Who's trying to collect? Request a copy of an itemized bill for the charges. Did your father in law have insurance at the time? If so, were they billed? I went through this with my mother. Her insurance company requested the hospital send the right coding information. 3 times the hospital did not respond to the request, the insurance company refused to pay. The hospital than tried to bill my mother. I told the hospital this was a matter between you and the insurance company. You need to get more information about the bill.

1. Sponsored Links