Default Can You Be Required to Give 60 Days Notice to Prevent Lease Renewal

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Wisconsin

I have a lease that ends on "the 30th of April 2013." In the lease it is written... "This lease shall terminate on the termination date set forth above, except that it shall be extended on a month to month basis unless and until terminated by either party by the service of a written notice at least 60 days prior to the expiration of this lease."

I sent a letter on February 28th stating: "We have chosen to end our lease and will vacate the apartment as of noon April 30, 2013."

Today (March 11) I had a letter wedged in my door stating that they received my request on March 11 (today) to end the lease April 30th, but since it was not received 60 days prior to April 30, I am required to pay rent for the month of May.

QUESTIONS:
    Am I legally required to pay until the end of May?

Are their any specific laws that can help get me out of paying through May?

Thank you for all your help. Reference to specific laws would be most helpful

Default Re: Can You Be Required to Give 60 Days Notice to Prevent Lease Renewal

If you agreed in your lease to give 60 days notice, then that's what you agreed to do.

What does your lease say about how notices are to be sent to your landlord? What is the language of the lease pertaining to notice required to terminate the tenancy once the initial term ends and it becomes a month-to-month periodic tenancy?

1. Sponsored Links