Default DUI in Pennsylvania - Can I Get a License in a Different State

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Pennsylvania

In February of 2011 I got into a a car accident after drinking. I didn't think I had had that much to drink but it resulted in me totaling my brand new car. I got a new car right after so I had transportation to the three jobs that I work. I've heard nothing back from my lawyer regarding the matter and its been over a year since the accident. I don't know when my court date is or if there is anything I need to do before the hearing. This makes me a little uneasy but I'm just waiting to hear something. He told me when I hired him that since this is my first offense I will most likely be served with 3 days in jail and 2 years without a license with work privelages after 6 months. All of this has put me in massive amounts of debt so there is no way I can not work for 6 months. Anyway, my family lives in Ohio and I've been thinking about moving back home because I'm completely on my own here and without a license I don't know how ill be able to keep a job. Believe it or not, im normally a very responsible person so driving with a suspended license is definitely not an option. So, what can I do? My questions are: if I move back to Ohio now and get an ohio license before my hearing, will it still be taken away from me? If I move back to ohio after my hearing will my license be suspended in ohio too?

Default Re: DUI in Pennsylvania - Can I Get a License Anywhere else

If you're revoked/suspended in PA you will *NOT* get a license elsewhere.

This isn't your first offense I take it.

That likely depends on the states involved, flyingron.

I was suspended in California for a year but obtained a Mississippi license less than 2 months into said suspension - no questions asked.

How long ago? Computers are amazing things. The application in MS even specifically asks if you are revoked somewhere else (he will be REVOKED in PA) and why.

I'm still confused about the 2 year term however. That's not actually a unit that PA uses. Your first offense is six months (and most people don't even do that because they get ARD). High BAC and second offenses are 18 months.

It is my first offense. My bac was exactly .16 but I did get into an accident instead of just pulled over so maybe that's why he said two years? He's pretty useless so far so who knows. Like I said I haven't heard a word about my case from him since the day I hired him other then when he told me I was denied for ARD because of the combination of my bac and the crash. I know some states don't share driving offenses that way so I wasn't sure if PA and Ohio were that way. If I get my Ohio ID because my trial though will my license still be suspended?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean before my trial not because my trial lol

ARD is at the discretion of the prosecutor by and large. If he's being a hardass, then you're screwed. ARD is the biggest second chance. They certainly can offer ARD for the high BAC range, but perhaps the circumstances of the accident dissuades the DA from allowing it. Your lawyer can actually push the issue with the judge, but generally there has to be some real compelling reason for the judge to not listen to the DA recommendation.

Still, the suspension period is only 12 MONTHS for a first offense at any BAC and an occupational license should be available after the first 60 days.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    How long ago? Computers are amazing things. The application in MS even specifically asks if you are revoked somewhere else (he will be REVOKED in PA) and why.
    1990, so yes, it likely changed.

I agree. Computers are amazing. I focused my career on them.

Was there a chemical test refusal? This could have added the additional year. If this was the case this refusal would also mean that after 1 year and 60 days you may be eligible for the Occupational License.

The other reason I mention this is related to your question about getting a license in another state. If there was a chemical test refusal that suspension would go into effect as soon as PennDOT is notified (days to weeks) and that means the every other state will see the restriction in PA already.

1. Sponsored Links