Question How do I go from employee to independent contractor?

I have a great job, I however do not like my work environment/culture and location. I am currently looking into offering my services as an independent contractor. I'm an economic analyst with a planning agency. I plan on telling my employer of my plans at the end of the year. I want to put together a 1 year contract in which I can perform any project (within my current job description) needed by the organization for a fixed amount at anytime during the course of the contract year. This will allow me to work in the same capacity that I now work, only I will be working on my own, possibly earning less, and doing away with benefits. I will also have the opportunity of working as a consultant for other companies. I haven't read anything on a yearly contract only on project based contracts. Can I do this? if so, how can I cover my tracks in doing so, and what is the best way to approach my employer to increase the chance that my offer will be accepted and to reduce my chances of getting fired? I have only been at the company for a year. I don't plan on staying at my current position if my offer is refused; I plan on looking for another job right away. I want to however avoid being fired as much as possible so as to still have a job and source of income while I'm looking for another job. I'm in Florida. Thank you.

Default Re: How do I go from employee to independent contractor?

You can make any offer you want to your employer. Your employer is free to accept it or reject it. If your employer decides to end your relationship, both as an employee and a potential independent contractor, that's normally within your employer's rights.

First, I think you might want to rethink the situation. You do realize being an independent contractor, you will be responsible for all of your taxes?

Second, an employee works under control and direction of an employer and an independent contractor doesn't. Is that something your employer wants to give up?

Also I don't think the employer would agree for his own protection. The government will be all over him. They will think he forced you into the independent contractor role. The government strongly tries to avoid businesses having independent contractors that are really employees. This is for the protection of both the worker and the government.

No, I don't think your employer will fire you, but you really never know. This depends on your relationship with him. I highly doubt he will let you become an independent contractor and then do work for him though.

Good luck with your decision though.

1. Sponsored Links