Default Debt Collector is Trying to Collect a Debt Previously Written Off

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: New Jersey

I received a form that I filed with my tax returns in 2011 about a particular alleged debt of 1100. I filed the form as unearned income with my tax return.
    Now there is another attempt to collect the same debt.
    In researching, I came across this:http://www.fms.treas.gov/debt/MFR/chapter7.pdf on page 4 is a chart and it defines write-offs, and terminations, and close-outs with close-outs being listed as NONCOLLECTABLE. I'm right aren't I?

Default Re: Debt Collector is Trying to Collect a Debt Previously Written Off

If you are asking whether the lender's writing off the debt in 2010 prevents them from later collecting the debt, no it does not - but they will have to report the associated taxable events. (We had a bit of a discussion of this issue a few months back.)

Odds are this is a junk debt buyer. Also, there is a possibility that the statute of limitations has run. But to comment on any of that you would need to share some details.

Default Re: Debt Collector is Trying to Collect a Debt Previously Written Off

That's the bad thing about debt settlement, a third party debt collector can still come after you, even after you've paid the taxes. Being judgement proof (collection proof) does have its benefits.

1. Sponsored Links