Unhappy Law of terminating a lease due to acceptance into low income housing

Does anyone know how this could work? I live in California for starters. I am currently in a lease that does not end until Dec 31st of this year. However, I was recently accepted into low income housing (today in fact) and must move in by NOV 1ST or I LOSE THE APARTMENT! My lease simply states I must give a proper 30 day notice however when I called the leasing department they said I am legally responsible for the apartment for the length of the lease (meaning I have to continue to pay the rent until the lease ends or they can rent the apartment again) As I really need this low income housing unit (or I would not have applied) and my apartment now is in one of the worst areas in town, what can I do?

Default Re: CA law of terminating my lease due to being accepted into low income housing

I don't understand how the lease can say a 30 day notice, that may be a 30 day notice not to renew the lease. I would move out and get on section 8, you will eventually save any money they want plus some. I would not think that it would take more than a month to rerent the apartment, but I would drive by until you see it is rented, so they don't try to charge you after it is rented. Good luck to you, and I remember hearing about how long it takes to get on section 8, so congratulations!!

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: CA law of terminating my lease due to being accepted into low income housing

A lease is a contract and its binding. If you move you will still have to pay for apartment and may hav eother issue to deal with. First off contact Housing tell them your problem they might extend time to move. I might ask why you looked for another place when your lease had no expired! Unless Landlord from your current place releses you from lease (in writing) you are obligated to pay rent until lease expires!

Panther, the waiting list for section 8 housing (low income housing) is 2-3 years, she probably did not have the lease when she applied for it. Once you get approved, you have to act immediately, since the list is sooooo long and so many people are waiting, if you do not act quick, you will be put back on the list and have to wait for another 2-3 years. This program helps low income people get assistance, that could make 800.00 rent be 120.00 so it is not something to throw away because of a present lease. I thought you would want to know.

panther10758 Guest

I know that I happen to be on housing but acting quick is not issue here. She has a lease and thats a legal contract. Without written ok breaking the lease could result in Law Suit!

Oh, I agree with you there. The landlord will be able to charge her for the rent as long as the place is unrented, but once a new tenant can be found, then she if off the hook for the rest of the duration of the rent. The landlord can not rerent the place, and get money from her when it is rented out, lease or not. I am just hoping that all she ends up owing is the next months rent, and it does not take much more time than that to find another tenant. So for information purposes OP, you will owe the rent until a new tenant is found, if you can find one that can be approved before you go, maybe you won't have to pay anything more? The landlords main concern is that the place collects money every month. Well, I think I am done until I hear from the poster, he/she has not posted since the first reply.

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Thank you for your posts. I was on the section 8 list for a long time now so I wasn't looking for a place I just got slapped with it. I still can't do anything about my lease, but I'm confident I will find a way to work it out (mainly because I really need to). I can sublet so I will post at the local university and see what I can do.

Thanks again!

Good luck to you!!

1. Sponsored Links