Hybrid View

Default I Got a 1099-Misc for a Gift

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: MARYLAND

In 2011 my uncle offered to pay off my tuition debt in collections. I gave him the collections account number and their phone number and he took care of it. Yesterday I got a notice from the IRS saying that I didn't file a 1099. The information listed was from my uncle's company. It looks like he wrote off the payment as a business expense.

I have never worked for my uncle or his company and I never filled out a W-9. During tax time in 2012 I was living in North Hollywood, CA. I was never mailed this 1099. Apparently, it was handed to my mother in an unmarked envelope which she opened and forgot to give me. I founded it today mixed up with a bunch of her old paperwork.

My uncle never informed me of his intent and never came to me directly regarding any information about this. I didn't even know this existed until yesterday.

Isn't this fraud? Payment of my debt had nothing to do with his company. And I never gave him any personal information for him to issue a 1099 in the first place.

Am I responsible for paying taxes on the money he paid to my collection account?

Default Re: I Got a 1099-Misc for a Gift

It sounds as if your uncle gave you a gift and then wanted a tax benefit for himself in the process. But I'm curious how he obtained your social security number if you never worked for him and never filled out a W-9? None of my uncles ever had my SS#. Still, you should dispute this with the IRS, explaining the circumstances under which you received this money and the family relationship involved. Your uncle will need to provide some evidence that you performed work to make this stick.

Default Re: I Got a 1099-Misc for a Gift

Yeah I wondered the exact same thing! I asked my mom if she had had any idea how he could have gotten ahold of my SSN. She said in the fall of 2011 my aunt called her requesting it. She told my mom it had to do with paying my tuition debt so my mom didn't question it and just gave it to her. I asked my mom if she didn't think it was strange that they didn't just call me to ask and why the 1099 wasn't mail to ME!!

1. Sponsored Links