So as the story goes my dad owes 13 thousand in taxes so i guess his tax guy told him to amend 2009, 2010, and 2011 tax returns to file jointly with my mom and it would help him with owing the IRS. Now my mom gets a letter in the mail from the IRS saying she now owes that money and needs to pay 5000 by 3/25/13. She only makes 16,000 a year so its practically impossible for my mom to pay that amount back. she was previously filing married separate. She never signed the amended documents and she doesn't want to get my dad in trouble. Is there anyway she can get out of this jam withoput having to file that it wassnt her who signed the amended papers please help guys much thanks.