Default COBRA Insurance

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Ohio

My last project ended on 12/31/2012 and without updating me employer cancelled my health insurance policy from 01/01/2013 , since he was not reachable I also moved to new company from 01/25 onwards. Till 02/24 insurance website was showing my status as active. When contacted inc. company, they updated me that my employer cancelled my insurance from 01/01/2013. I check with inc company if there is any COBRA insurance option available therefore they transferred my call to admin dept and admin dept updated me that Group policy was cancelled from 02/15 onwards. When I called my previous employer he said that he requested grp policy to be cancelled by 02/15 but ins. company messed up and they cancelled it from 01/15 (I dont believe his statement). I requested for COBRA ins and also updated him that I am ready to pay premium amt. Initially he was not ready but after updating him that it is legal to provide COBRA insurance, he said that he would contact new ins agent and update me as old grp policy was cancelled. That day he called me after sometime and updated that he can provide X ins company COBRA ins and it may cost around $800. I was ready and today he sent me COBRA form and he asked for $3000 as premium amt. No coverage info is mentioned. Also ins which he has offered have only 1 or 2 providers in my city and do not cover my regular provider/pharmacy. I brought some prescribed medicine between 01/15 to 01/25 and at that time my ins was active.
    Can any one guide me how to deals with this issue?

Default Re: COBRA Insurance

Contact the insurance companies, figure out their coverage dates and request COBRA for the period.

How many employees does the company have?
    Did you get coverage at the new companY/
    http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/cobra.htm

He's not required to offer you a plan that is different than what he offers the other employees.

It has more than 20 employees.
    Insurance not yet started with new employer.

1. Sponsored Links