Hybrid View

Default Background Check No Longer Showing Theft Charge

My question involves criminal law for the state of: IA
    Hello,

So about 2 years ago, I was charged with fifth degree theft, my first and only offense. Being that I had no idea the measure of the crime, I went ahead and pleaded guilty to get it out of the way. I should have deferred it and expunged it but I did not know how much it would impact my background at the time. So I had been since finishing up my Bachelors degree and was worried about it appearing on background checks. Well, it had shown up about 5 months ago when i applied for a job, so i figured I had to try to get a pardon and then proceed from there since I am a true law abiding citizen and was a once in a lifetime mistake. I went to the states department of criminal investigation to obtain a criminal background check that is current as of today, and when I looked through the report, the charge was not longer on there. I am confused to why it would have not shown, since it is considered a criminal charge from about 2 years ago. I am about to apply for alot more jobs/internships these coming months, and was wondering if my potential employers run background/crimnial checks, would it appear on those reports now? And if it did, would there be a way to get my record updated with the background check companies?
    P.S. - Should I just meet with a local attorney to discuss my options?

Thanks for any input!

Default Re: Background Check No Longer Showing Theft Charge

Criminal convictions don't magically go away all by themselves. If a clerical error occurred that caused the conviction to not appear on the record check, we can't promise you that the error will occur again or tell you how long it might take for the error to be corrected.

1. Sponsored Links