Default J-1 to F-1 and Two-Year Home Residency

Hi folks!

I did the first semester of my master's degree in a american university with a J-1 visa. After that semester my J-1 visa was terminated (meaning my sponsor stopped funding) so I decided to go back home. After 3 years I applied for a F-1 visa (with my own resources), was granted the visa and came back to US and finished my master. Now, I am in the process of adjusting my status in order to become a permanent resident and I'm wondering if I still need to go back to my home country for two years as my first semester was funded by my home government through a scholarship.

I understand that:
    1- as my visa J-1 was terminated the two-year rule doesn't apply anymore and more with the fact that I was granted a F-1 visa; and
    2- even if applies I spent 3 years back home that I assume counts if the two-year rule applies.

This doubt comes because in the form i-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) there's a question (Part 3 , Question 11) that says:

11. Have you ever been a J nonimmigrant exchange visitor who was subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirement and have not yet complied with that requirement or obtained a waiver?

and I don't whether answer yer or no

I'll appreciate your answer.

Thanks.

Default Re: J-1 to F-1 and Two-Year Home Residency

Your assumption that the termination of your J1 program means that the 2 year HRR does not apply is incorrect. But you indicate that after your J1 ended you spent three years outside of the U.S. and in your nation of origin - and 3 > 2. There is no HRR for a F1 visa.

1. Sponsored Links