Default Can a H1B Employee Accept a Referral Bonus from a Recruiting Firm

I had a question regarding my tax liability for accepting referral bonus and would appreciate your answers.

I have joined a new company XYZ and the recruiting agency (recruiting agency only nominated me to the current employer as a suitable candidate for the job) mentioned of a Referral Bonus.
    I am on H1B, and I had heard that I cannot accept money from any entity other than My employer, that is my employer XYZ, which is sponsoring my H1B and I am core employee of the company XYZ.
    Was expecting a check of some sort but the recruiting agency has sent me W-9 to be filled up, which will be submitted to IRS. Upon providing this W-9, recruiting company will issue a check.

Had the below questions:

1) Can I accept this Referral Bonus from recruiting agency, for whom I do not work.
    2) They gave me a W-9 form and this is what got me thinking about my tax liabilities and also if I am supposed to accept any referrals of this sort being on H1B status.
    Recruiting agency will provide the 1099 form for tax filing at a later time.

Let me know what your thoughts are and If a person on H1B can get such payments?

Thanks

Default Re: Can a H1B Employee Accept a Referral Bonus from a Recruiting Firm

This is not income earned through labor, so I don't see a problem. Depending upon how the eventual 1099 is completed, it may trigger an inquiry - but an H1B worker is not prohibited from non-employment activity that might result in a 1099 being issued. You could get a 1099 if you won money in a contest, for example.

How should the 1099 have this transaction as?. Please provide your inputs. Thanks.

The recruiting agency would be providing the 1099 with the transaction as "Non-Employee Compensation", will this cause any issue considering that I am on H1 Visa.

Thanks

At risk of repeating myself:
    Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    This is not income earned through labor, so I don't see a problem. Depending upon how the eventual 1099 is completed, it may trigger an inquiry - but an H1B worker is not prohibited from non-employment activity that might result in a 1099 being issued. You could get a 1099 if you won money in a contest, for example.

1. Sponsored Links