Unhappy Car Sold - Buyer Has Not Transferred Title

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: MN

Hi All,
    I am totally worried about a legal notice of an amount $xxxx on a car which was owned by me during my last visit to US.

Here is the actual detail.. In MN, i sold a car to a person without a title for lesser amount without a title transfer as i had to return to my country (employer compelled me due to billing issues) .
    Reason for no title is i had moved to MN and registered with MN and i could not receive the title before i left US. I followed the process for getting the title with my friend here. It was delayed
    due to unavoidable reasons. In the meantime, the buyer had done lot of parking violations. Though i had informed him abt the violations , he did not pay the money.
    Now , im back here and got the same car from him as he did not give the actual deal money. I have got the legal notice to pay huge amount for the period i was not in US and no mistake from my part.

Can anyone help me in getting out of this ... how to proceed further.. VIN check shows the name of the person whom i sold.

Default Re: Car Sold - Buyer Has Not Transferred Title

You indicate that you never actually conveyed title to this person - you didn't have title, you didn't sign title over to him, he was never able to register title, and when you returned to the U.S. you took the vehicle back. So how can the "VIN check shows the name of the person [to] whom [you] sold"? Are you suggesting that he managed to get registration and plates in his name despite having no evidence of title or ownership?

The OP does/did not understand his responsibility as a vehicle owner. Should not have sold the vehicle w/o title. Should have ordered a duplicate title.

Now you'll need to check the registration. A copy can be obtained through DMV.

Through no fault of your own? Think again.

Post back with DMV registration information.

He may not be able to transfer the title w/o paying his obligations. Is this the issue you now have?

If so, the car is his (not yours). You can sue him for the $$ he owes you.

He can call the cops and say you stole the car and then you'll be spending some time in a nice US prison.

Sorry for not being clear... I signed the title to him from my country with the help of my friend here in US. It got delayed as he was in different place(he received it late),he posted it and i re-posted.. I was sincere enough to meet all these expenses from my country. I was put into lot of stress and inconvenience during that period. i did not get the money he owed even after the title transfer and these violations to add to my woes. I was in US for the first time and i was badly deceived by this man.

All this time gap of 8-9 months the buyer was doing all the violations.. he had registered the title one month after my friend posted the title to him.. He has to pay the fine as i was not at all in US during that period.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mr.Knowitall , any comments please.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mr.Knowitall , any comments please.

1. Sponsored Links