Default Is it Hit and Run if You Leave After a Single Vehicle Accident

A friend of mine just recently crashed her car into a light pole on the side of the road. The light pole fell down along the side of the road, but she just left the scene without calling the police or anybody. Could she be charged with a hit and run? and if so, what would the penalties be?

Default Re: Hit and Run

Yes, it is hit-and-run. The penalties would depend upon the state your friend lives in. In addition to any criminal penalties, she would likely have to pay for the damage caused.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thank you for your reply. So, are we talking jail time or just a fine of some sort? and what are the chances anyone will find out it was her?

Quote Quoting lherriman13
    View Post
    So, are we talking jail time or just a fine of some sort?
    Penalties will depend on which state she had the accident in.

View Post
    and what are the chances anyone will find out it was her?
    Her car had to have sustained quite a bit of damage if it tore the pole off or broke it. And so she might have some explaining to do if she ever decides to repair her car. Obviously filing an insurance claim is a no-no! Additionally, depending on whether this was a power pole, telephone pole... etc, someone may have ran out when it went down if power went out with it. Who knows if someone saw her car or saw her driving away!

Thank you for your replies

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I have one last question. What would you advise me to tell my friend to do? Should she just wait and see if anything happens, or should she report it?

View Post
    Thank you for your replies

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I have one last question. What would you advise me to tell my friend to do? Should she just wait and see if anything happens, or should she report it?
    The responsible thing to have done would have been not to leave the scene and to contact the police from there. But since that is not possible, the second best thing to do is to report it. Your friend needs to be ready for the consequences of her doing so if she is going to report it.

Mainly, those consequences may include the filing of criminal hit-and-run charges against her (depends on the state where this occurred). It is this part of the equation which might get more difficult if she failed to report it and was later caught and charged accordingly, or might get easier (by way of some plea bargain) if she were to report it before she is caught.

Secondary, would be the damages to the light pole which will likely be covered under a liability insurance policy which is typically the minimum amount of coverage required by law. If she was uninsured for liability, she can expect that she will be held responsible for the cost of replacing that light pole. You might be surprised that the cost to replace a single light pole might add up into several thousand dollars. Damages to her vehicle would likely be covered if she was under a collision coverage policy with her insurer.

1. Sponsored Links