Default Can You Get Provisional License After a DUI Suspension

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: WA

Received my first DUI while visiting central Oregon last month. For reasons I will not get into for the purposes of this question I am being advised by lawyer to plead guilty next week. My attorney advised me that my next step (after pleading and a few days in jail) as far as license is concerned was to contact Oregon DMV to apply for the "hardship license" (their name for provisional or restricted license).

I just learned that in order to be eligible for hardship license one must be a resident of Oregon (which I am not). Does anyone know how the interstate compact works? Specifically, if my license is suspended by OR for a year, and I cannot apply in OR for provisional license, can I apply for one in WA? Does the "home state" blindly follow the "other state's" lead on this or does the home state honor the suspension status, but beyond that allow you to proceed through the system as if the suspension was initiated here at home?

Default Re: Can You Get Provisional License After a DUI Suspension

Unless and until your license is suspended in Washington, it remains valid in every state but Oregon. Should Washington suspend your license, you can seek a restricted / hardship license consistent with the policies and practices of that state. You should expect that the Oregon suspension will catch up to you in Washington.

If you need to be able to drive in Oregon, you should discuss with your lawyer what relief you might be able to obtain as a driver licensed in another state.

1. Sponsored Links