Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Angry Harassment by an Abusive Website

My question involves defamation in the state of: United Kingdom / United States.

Hello. I am a resident of Scotland in the UK, but my issue really pertains to a website that I believe is hosted in America behind a reverse proxy.

Ever since early 2008, I have been the victim of harassment by a website entitled Encyclopedia Dramatica. They basically have a wiki that people can edit and it looks at first sight to be a clone of Wikipedia. Somebody started up an article about me in January of that year, posting about the forums I got banned from, posting pictures of myself and quoting things I said on forums and in emails, etc. They've done this to countless other people too. Their disclaimer claims they are about satire, but they are in fact just hosting abusive content.

About 6 months before the site was replaced by a new site by its owner in 2011, I got the article about myself deleted at long last after I finally found out who their hosting provider was and I filed a DMCA report, which meant that by American law, the images had to be removed. I'd been receiving help from someone on a blog who was monitoring their illegal antics. If I needed help on finding their host, he or she had an e-mail address on the blog that I could write to.

Then they backed up all the content and relocated to a .ch server, but the guy who ran it got in trouble with the law shortly there after because he was responsible for hacking popular websites. He was in the UK tabloids. Furthermore, they moved to Sweden and ever since then, I've had absolutely no luck on getting the page about myself deleted. Some of the administrators of ED have websites that are hosted in America, including srsvsp.com, but they use a website called CloudFlare to mask their real host and it also somehow hides all their outgoing traffic so they cannot be traced. They also add in false WHOIS information, like a made up name, address and telephone number. Even their abuse e-mail address is false, because when you write to it, one of the ED staff responds with an arrogant reply.

Their current address is encyclopediadramatica.se, but I am sure they are actually hosted in America and just use that link to make people believe they're in Sweden. In the past, CloudFlare used to just give up the name of their host, but now they want people to send government issued I.D. which could result in my details being put up online if the abuse is not dealt with successfully. Since they are apparently hosted in Sweden, according to that link, they do not have DMCA rules in that country. So my question is, can I sue CloudFlare for allowing the use of their services to host abuse?

Default Re: Extremely Abusive Website (Encyclopedia Dramatica)

DMCA does not give you the authority to have all images of you removed from the internet, and i would highly advise against using such a strategy as there are civil and criminal penalties for abusing DMCA takedown notices.

If someone reads the abuse@ emails and responds the abuse email isn't false they just are not doing what you want them to do.

In the US, web hosts and other online services are not responsible for slander posted by their customers so long as they do not exercise editorial control over those postings. So attempting to sue Cloudflare would be a waste of your time and money.

Somebody started up an article about me in January of that year, posting about the forums I got banned from, posting pictures of myself and quoting things I said on forums and in emails, etc. They've done this to countless other people too. Their disclaimer claims they are about satire, but they are in fact just hosting abusive content.
    None of that would be slander
    Never break more than one law at a time.

"Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods." -- H. L. Mencken

So what you're basically saying is that it's not abuse? And their abuse e-mail address is fake. They just have it there so they can outright laugh at all who report them.

What he's saying is that if somebody is doing something that you find annoying but is not false, it's not defamation.

He's also saying that if you do not hold copyright to the material to which you object, you have no business filing a DMCA report over material owned by somebody else.

So what you're basically saying is that it's not abuse?
    Correct. "Abuse" in the context of internet services does not include making fun of people.

And their abuse e-mail address is fake.
    No, it isn't. A fake email address would return a "no such user" message if you sent an inquiry to it. You're getting responses, therefore, it's a genuine address.

They just have it there so they can outright laugh at all who report them.
    So?

Look, if you're going to play on the internet, you should consider a few things: There are rough neighborhoods on the internet, just like there are everywhere else. You can either grow a thicker skin, or stop playing in those neighborhoods. If you're being featured in ED, it's doubtless because you've been publicly stupid in any number of gossip, gaming, and/or snark communities - all well known to be rough neighborhoods. The more overwrought you get, the harder these people will mock you. Ignore them, and they will get bored and go away.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Correct. "Abuse" in the context of internet services does not include making fun of people.

No, it isn't. A fake email address would return a "no such user" message if you sent an inquiry to it. You're getting responses, therefore, it's a genuine address.

So?

Look, if you're going to play on the internet, you should consider a few things: There are rough neighborhoods on the internet, just like there are everywhere else. You can either grow a thicker skin, or stop playing in those neighborhoods. If you're being featured in ED, it's doubtless because you've been publicly stupid in any number of gossip, gaming, and/or snark communities - all well known to be rough neighborhoods. The more overwrought you get, the harder these people will mock you. Ignore them, and they will get bored and go away.
    They don't just make fun of me. They stalk me on other websites because I'm easy to track down and they even threatened a horror community called Cult Labs into banning me, so one of their administrators deleted my account and said I could make a new one, but that's really besides the point. ED uses my images without my permission and there's also a picture of my ex-girlfriend on there, among other things.

And how's the e-mail address they have for abuse not fake? If they are allowing responses, but are then not acting on any of them and just mocking the person who reported it, then that's abuse in itself. Not once have they removed anything out of good faith or because someone asked them "nicely" to do so. In fact, a lot of the time they try to cover their backs by acting like they had absolutely nothing to do with it and that you should take it up with whoever dumped that crap on there in the first place. That's also lies, because while 'someone else' did begin the page initially, they've since written the bulk of what's on it now, so then I'd say they are solely responsible for it being there today, since it was already removed and brought back. They also poke fun of people who have committed suicide in real life, etc. It's not on.

I can live with being called names, because it's not like we'll ever meet to settle things and I know that they're probably cowards away from their screens anyway. But I don't see why they should be allowed to carry on doing this kind of thing to people and always get off scot-free. And none of the replies on these forums have actually offered advice on how to get the abusive article removed, which is the main purpose of this thread having been posted.

You should read this, when you have the free time. This will give you a bigger insight into the kind of stuff they do year after year on the Internet.

http://josephevers.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...hie_Lancaster/

http://www.ripoffreport.com/civil-ri...ps-a-0f08d.htm

I'm sorry you didn't get the response you were hoping for. Have you ever heard of the Streisand Effect? To quote Wikipedia, "The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide or remove a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely..." In other words, the more you complain and draw attention to yourself the more determined these people are to keep your article posted. They find your reaction hilarious which is why they continue to follow you around the internet. You know how adults often tell children that in order to stop being teased they need to stop giving the desired reaction? I hated hearing that as a child because it seemed to place responsibility on the victim rather than the tormentors, but it really is good advice. No one is going to convince encyclopedia dramatica that their antics aren't funny, but you can change what you're doing so that they lose interest.

I am not a lawyer but I strongly suggest you start using completely different screen names and stop posting pictures of yourself or indicating where you're from. You can't expect personal information that you post publicly on the internet to remain private.

If you feel as though this is effecting your mental health please tell someone in your real life who can help you get professional care.

Well, they've been saving screen grabs of these posts for to show people, because I do look at their site and I noticed they were talking about me posting this on the Grace Saunders discussion page.

http://encyclopediadramatica.se/Grace_Saunders

They probably sit on Skype or some other IM tool all day long reporting things back to each other. They've either been looking at their referrals or they looked up this PeterHoping44 user name on Google. Probably the latter.

You're right, though. I've been dealing with various Internet assholes for about 10 years now and that's more than enough time to realize that they won't change. I really should stop wasting my time being on the Internet so much because that's giving them more things for 'the laughs' as they put it, but also since there's nothing constructive to do online and being in front of a screen will deteriorate my eyesight even more. I'm not a fan of survival horror anymore. And I've nothing else to chat to anyone about, so that's it, really.

Here's a novel concept: You ever entertained the notion that anything truly meaningful actually took place through interpersonal activity(s) conducted, dare I say, face-to-face?

If you are fretting over unecessary meaningless crap that solely takes place in an online environment then you may wanna reevaluate your priority consideration paradigm.

After all, at the end of the day, what truly ends up making the differences? Cyber or reality?

Point of curiosity......is that you sporting the tinfoil hat?

Now that should be some sorta harbringer right there! It may be just me, but, I'd be effin' mortified if some stranger on the internet asked me if I was tinfoil hat man on a site I'd posted a link to!

No, that's not me. That is just a made up "artist's rendering" of Daniel Brandt, who is the man who come up with the idea to write a blog on them. So he's not the actual Daniel Brandt and I'm not an old man. As far as I'm aware, nobody knows what he looks like. Daniel was some anti-Google activist who sold people's documents or something as blackmail when they wouldn't delete a page about him on Wikipedia. I don't even know if he's the guy who responds to the emails or if he gets a 'friend' to do it.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast