Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caught Stealing, Tackled by Store Security

My question involves criminal law for the state of: IL

So, I'm a minor who sometime ago tried to shoplift alcohol and subsequently got caught. As I was leaving the store security personnel or maybe just an employee(Let's call him guy A) angrily yelled, asking me where I put the alcohol and approached me with an irate expression and imposing body language. I immediately froze up, my mind went blank, my body went stiff, and I couldn't respond. The same employee then quickly shouldered me backwards and another employee(Let's call him guy B) attempted to tackle me to the ground. All I could do is stand hapzardly stiff as he held me in place. The employee that yelled at me proceeded to grab my hair(I have long hair), yanking it to and fro in an effort that I assume was supposed to be neck control, it worked. I finally started to respond and grabbed my hair so it wouldn't be pulled out(it ended up being pulled out anyway) and with my balance off the same employee that initially tried to tackled me tackled me onto the ground and the employee that yanked my hair dealt a swift punch to my forehead as I fell to the ground while yelling that I stole from his family(I assume that the retailer is a family owned business). When I fell to the ground they removed the alcohol from my person and while I was pinned guy B lifted me up and quickly slammed me back on the ground, I suspect in anger. I quickly tried to get back up and run(I had no alcohol and these guys had no problem ruffing me up so at this point I didn't want to surrender). But yet another guy came in(Let's call him guy C, I'm actually not sure whether he was in it from the start, I could barely keep up with what was going on until I was pinned to the ground) and intercepted me before I could leave the premises. I was then tackled to the floor again, but it was quite painful and they laid on me to the point where I couldn't breath and I was in pain, when I squirmed to get air they simply slammed me back into this position. Then, when I decided to flip my body(it was the easiest way to breath) a cop came and I was detained.

May I mention that during this whole scherade I was quite scared not for the impending suckishness of being arrested, but because of the sheer anger of the employees. I would've calmly submitted if it weren't for the the way they initially came at me. Also, because of my fear I could barely keep up with what was happening so I may have left details out, if it weren't for a large tuft of hair that I easily pulled from my scalp I would've completely forgot that it happened. For about a half a day afterwards my remorse for stealing from the guys family was so great I actually thought I was a scumbag and the thoughts of it totally obscured my memory of the situation.

Default Re: Improper Detainment or Just Good Work

What an attitude. You rip off the merchant both monetarily in addition to violating both alcohol and larceny laws and threathen their liquor license and you cop an attitude because they didn't handle you sociopathic behavior with kidd gloves and courtesy?

Grow up child and stop breaking the law.

Default Re: Caught Stealing, Tackled by Store Security

Quote Quoting DumDum1
    View Post
    I immediately froze up, my mind went blank, my body went stiff, and I couldn't respond.
    Quote Quoting DumDum1
    I would've calmly submitted if it weren't for the the way they initially came at me.
    What do you believe to be the difference between calmly submitting and doing and saying nothing? You were standing stiff as a board, then you did what to trigger the physical confrontation?
    Quote Quoting DumDum1
    Also, because of my fear I could barely keep up with what was happening so I may have left details out, if it weren't for a large tuft of hair that I easily pulled from my scalp I would've completely forgot that it happened.
    Translation: You were drunk, stoned and/or mentally ill. Please clarify.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    What an attitude. You rip off the merchant both monetarily in addition to violating both alcohol and larceny laws and threathen their liquor license and you cop an attitude because they didn't handle you sociopathic behavior with kidd gloves and courtesy?

Grow up child and stop breaking the law.
    I'm 'coping an attitude' because they could've just grabbed me(bear hug) and took me to wherever they needed to process me at, not pretty much full-on jump me, if I got violent back(which I refrained from doing, as why would I get violent with someone I stole from that's trying to do their job and protect their capital) then I could see the reason for such force and more. I even titled this thread "Improper detainment or Goodwork" originally because I considered that they were totally justified in their use of force. But thanks for irrelevant, ignorant, and assumptious post.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    What do you believe to be the difference between calmly submitting and doing and saying nothing? You were standing stiff as a board, then you did what to trigger the physical confrontation?
    If that first question isn't rhetorical, removing the item(s) from my person, handing it over, and waiting for whatever happens next. And I did nothing(other than steal), the guy was pretty irate that I stole alcohol, I could tell from the way he acted he probably wanted to do more to me.

Translation: You were drunk, stoned and/or mentally ill. Please clarify.
    Lol, I was just shocked. It all happened so suddenly. Like it felt like a few seconds but I know it was at least a minute(from the initial confrontation until the cop showed up). EDIT: I do have bipolar disorder and up to that time I hadn't been taking my medicine for a while, if that helps anything.

If you wish, you can ask the DA to press charges against the shop owners for their actions. Given the fact that you were currently committing multiple crimes during the time of the shop owners' actions, I really wouldn't plan on much - but stranger things have happened.

As to their behavior towards you, you have to look at it from their side. After God knows how many thefts, they had had enough of kids thinking that the inventory they paid for and intended to sell to produce their livelihood was there to be taken. You are actually very lucky. Some shop keepers would have simply shot a thief.

Now, we have heard your side. What do you think the shop owners will say? Would it include wording describing how you tried to leave and fight back?

I do have bipolar disorder and up to that time I hadn't been taking my medicine for a while, if that helps anything.

No, being too irresponsible to take your medication does not give you a pass on thievery.

So you are a bi-polar scumbag thief? I bet you and your friends won't be stealing from there again.

Is there a question being posed? Although, I find the entire scenario rather humorous as I imagine this going down.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    If you wish, you can ask the DA to press charges against the shop owners for their actions. Given the fact that you were currently committing multiple crimes during the time of the shop owners' actions, I really wouldn't plan on much - but stranger things have happened.
    Nah, I just wanted to know was it necessary to yank my hair, punch me, slam me while I was already pinned down, and pretty much take their aggression out on me when they already pretty much had me.

As to their behavior towards you, you have to look at it from their side. After God knows how many thefts, they had had enough of kids thinking that the inventory they paid for and intended to sell to produce their livelihood was there to be taken. You are actually very lucky. Some shop keepers would have simply shot a thief.
    You're right. Never looked at it that way.

Now, we have heard your side. What do you think the shop owners will say? Would it include wording describing how you tried to leave and fight back?
    Fight back?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I do have bipolar disorder and up to that time I hadn't been taking my medicine for a while, if that helps anything.

No, being too irresponsible to take your medication does not give you a pass on thievery.
    Yeah, that's why I didn't include it in the OP.

Quote Quoting viol8te
    View Post
    Is there a question being posed? Although, I find the entire scenario rather humorous as I imagine this going down.
    I wanted to know whether roughing me up was actually necessary or just the result of the shopkeeper being pissed. But considering Jeff's words since I only have one charge I don't really care anymore, they could've gave me a bloody nose all I care, now.

It was humorous in hindsight, it's worldstar worthy

Actually, it isn't that funny.

A theft conviction can make finding any job involving money or any responsibility very hard to get.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast