Default Former Employer Threatening to Complain to My Current Employer

I am from India and I took study leave to study in US. I got a job here after completing my study. I informed my previous employer that I want to resign and I am ready to pay the amount that they gave me during my study leave.

However as the repayment amount is big and I am not in a position to deposit the whole amount at once. I asked them that I am ready to pay the whole amount within a year in equal installment. But they are adament that they want all the money at one with interest. They also threatened me that they will communicate this to my present employer.

What can I do in this situation?

Default Re: Former Employer Threatening to Complain to My Current Employer

Your former employer is legally free to communicate pretty much anything it wants about you to your current employer, except possibly some medical information (which isn't relevant to your issue anyway).

Regarding the repayment, did you sign a contract agreeing to repay the amount all at once?

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Your former employer is legally free to communicate pretty much anything it wants about you to your current employer, except possibly some medical information (which isn't relevant to your issue anyway).

Regarding the repayment, did you sign a contract agreeing to repay the amount all at once?
    I think yes. I need to check the document. But If I am ready to pay the entire amount with interest and I am about to pay a portion of the entire amount in coming days. How my new employer can react in case the previous employer report.

Your former employer is legally free to hold you to the repayment terms of the contract.

Abesnt an enforecable employment contract that dictates otherwise, your current employer may legally fire you upon hearing what your former employer has to say. Whether or not your current employer will actually do this is not something we can foresee.

1. Sponsored Links