Default Taking a Job for No Pay but Travel Expenses Were Paid

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

I'm a SAG actor who is also getting her feet wet on the production side and in between acting jobs I take whatever job comes my way or collect UI benefits. I recently took a job as a Co-Producer to a film. This position had no pay and we traveled out of the country to shoot the trailer. According to the EDD manual, if you take a job for no pay, you have to report your paid travel expenses as income. For this project, we raised money thru IndieGoGo. And 100% of that money raised went towards our travel expenses. We were only 3 people traveling. So I reported 1/3 of the money raised thru IndieGoGo. Should that be adequate? Also, I incurred my own expenses on this job with the knowledge that once the project is funded, I would be reimbursed. I did not include those expenses on my claim forms. Did I do the right thing?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Taking a Job for No Pay but Travel Expenses Were Paid

Quote Quoting Alicia1984
    View Post
    For this project, we raised money thru IndieGoGo. And 100% of that money raised went towards our travel expenses. We were only 3 people traveling. So I reported 1/3 of the money raised thru IndieGoGo. Should that be adequate?
    We would have no way of answering that for you, as you have given us no information about how the money was actually applied. For example, if one of you flew first class or by private jet, stayed in a luxury hotel and dined at fancy restaurants, while the others flew coach and stayed in a cheap hotel and ate Spam sandwiches, then "1/3" would be inaccurate. Didn't you keep receipts and books?
    Quote Quoting Alicia1984
    Also, I incurred my own expenses on this job with the knowledge that once the project is funded, I would be reimbursed. I did not include those expenses on my claim forms. Did I do the right thing?
    I'm not clear on what you're asking here. Are you asking if you were correct not to deduct from the travel reimbursement some unrelated out-of-pocket expenses for which you'll later be reimbursed, yes, you were correct not to deduct them.

1. Sponsored Links