Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Unemployment Cut Off Due to Voluntary Quit

I was laid off in June....I won my appeal & received my Back pay in Unemployment & things were looking up again! The Unemployment Office Changed there series of questions when filing your weekly certification, one of the questions being "Have You Quit A Job Since Filing Your Claim"? I answered honestly so I wouldn't face fraud charges, the reason I left my part time position was to accept another job. They have now stopped my Benefits, my car was reposessed & the Finance Company will not budge, I just spent my last 1000.00 on Rent & the Power Bill. I absolutely receive know help from the absent Parent....I'm scared & any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. How long does it take for a "REPO TO SHOW ON YOUR CREDIT"?

2. Who can I speak to at Unemployment? Will they let you speak directly to the Ajudicator?

Thanks!!:-)

Default Re: Unemployment Cut Off Due to Voluntary Quit

A negative entry will show up on your credit report when the creditor reports it, which could be anywhere from "it's already there" to seven years from the reportable event.

You would be wanting to speak to somebody at unemployment for what purpose?

They have completley cut my Benefits off because I left a job to start a job & that's the reason I lost my car, that was hard to swallow for them to cut my paycheck all at once, it was like being laid off again. My case is under an "Eligibility Ruling Status". I can't even work now, I live in the Country, we don't have Bus Transportation! I need Money Fast, I have two kids to support & know transportation! I'm being punished for being honest, maybe if I start being a liar & crook this sh.. want happen!

When you voluntarily quit a job, you're not being laid off. It also goes without saying that when you quit your job, your former employer will stop paying you.

You state that you started a new job, so why would you not have income coming in from your new job?

Sir with all due respect......I've tryed explaining my situation the best I could, when I was laid off I got behind on everything, I had to pay three thousand to save my home & make two car payments at once. I'm not a freakin millionaire & I'm a single mom. I'm not making know where what I used to & everytime I think I'm getting ahead something else happens. The reason I left my job to start another position was because there hours were kid friendly. Do you leave your kids at home all of the time to fend for thereselves? I claimed everybit of money made & had another job lined up, I just didn't quit & sit on my a.. & wait for something to fall in my lap! I just can't simply understand that there are so many people dishonest & take the system for a ride & I'm honest & get treated like sh.. & questioned about my actions.

(1) Was your new job giving more hours then the prior one?
    (2) Are you still working that job? If so - how many hours per week are you working? At what rate? And what was your old job (that paid UI) paying?

Unemployment isn't a welfare system. It pays when you lose your job for the right reason. It doesn't care about your kids, your house, nor your car. It sets a floor to your income. Once you take a new job, your benefits for the most part are cut nearly dollar for dollar. You pretty much had to report your earnings and lying about it wouldn't have helped you because employers have to report to the state new hire data base and that information makes it's way into the national new hire data base, and they would have caught that you were collecting UI with potential unreported earnings, and you'd be in worse trouble than the financial woes you are facing now.

While hindsight is 20/20, no one should ever just think that taking a part-time is going to fix things. It's another employer, a potential new separation issue, and it's rarely suitable employment. These part-time jobs bind you to the area in the sense that if a friend or relative calls and says, "things are booming here, we'll let you live with us while you look for work." You can't do it because when you quit that part-time job, you'll be out your paycheck and your partial UI benefit. Whereas when you don't have that part-time, you can be flexible and mobile enough to jump on an opportunity in an area where it's not practical to commute while still having your UI check in the new area.

You have to let the state investigate, but if your state is like mine, trying to speed things up by speaking with the adjudicator is nearly impossible. However, be really careful how you say things in regards to your quit. Quitting a part-time for a better part-time job is probably not disqualifying, but saying it had better hours for your kids might be a problem. I suspect if you say that they are going to want to know why you didn't work both part-time jobs. They might latch on to the childcare issue, and then rule you not "able & available," and don't bring up losing your car for sympathy because that will backfire too, and if you lose this new job because of your lack of transportation, you'll be getting another adjudication after that.

However, I think what PandorasBox is alluding to is that if the new job had more hours, paid better, and you couldn't work the jobs concurrently because of a schedule overlap, you'll be ok, but you still have to wait it out.

if you have a new job, why do you believe you are eligible for unemployment? It's kind of self descriptive: unemployment benefits. Generally, you have to be unemployed to be able to obtain them.

Thanks for the advice everyone......It seems like I may have worded things wrong & the comment on Welfare, I don't abuse the system, I've been working since I was Thirteen & hold my own. I will get through this & become a stronger & wiser person.

Don't take it wrong. I didn't mean to suggest you abuse the system. However, I can tell this is your first time collecting. You just don't understand how the system really works.

You can lose your job and get on UI. You can make the most half-hearted attempt to find a job pretty much ensuring that you'll receive no offers, and you can collect without incident until you reach the end of your benefits. However, when you make an effort and take those part-time jobs or less than suitable employment, you can end up trapped in a bad situation, and punished.

The first time I collected in the 80s, I made a similar mistake as you. On my subsequent time, I only looked for jobs as good or better than I had before, and had no further issues once I was in the system.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast