Exclamation Can I Be Sued for a Deficiency After Foreclosure

My question involves a mortgage in the state of: California

Hi, I bought my home 4 years ago with a fixed 30-year FHA. I recently refinanced the house 6 months ago into another fixed 30-year FHA. If I were to walk away from this home so that I can move and rent a house in a different part of the state, can the lender actually sue me?

I owe $290,000 and the home is "valued" at $285,000.. No, it won't sell because buyers want the house for $260,000..

Default Re: Can I Be Sued for a Deficiency After Foreclosure

CA is a non-recourse state, which means lender wouldn't be in a position to sue you (that said, I presume no part of any refinance involved money that wasn't used toward buying the house).

You don't say what sources of "value" you're looking at; its fair market value is what it is. Not clear why you're thinking in terms of foreclosure vs. short sale and asking the lender to sign off on accepting less (of course, they will take into account what assets you have to offer to cover the deficiency).

Regardless, be prepared to be taxed on the deficiency as though it were income.

Default Re: Can I Be Sued for a Deficiency After Foreclosure

Quote Quoting Foster_Foster
    View Post
    CA is a non-recourse state, which means lender wouldn't be in a position to sue you (that said, I presume no part of any refinance involved money that wasn't used toward buying the house).

You don't say what sources of "value" you're looking at; its fair market value is what it is. Not clear why you're thinking in terms of foreclosure vs. short sale and asking the lender to sign off on accepting less (of course, they will take into account what assets you have to offer to cover the deficiency).

Regardless, be prepared to be taxed on the deficiency as though it were income.
    The bolded is incorrect as the Mortgage Debt Relief Act of 2007 was extended.

1. Sponsored Links