Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I Was Slandered in My Job - What Do I Do

Unfavorable issue.. I work in a store as a vendor and we report and get are schedule from their website. Well when I got a new boss I was very unsure of her so I watched things while doing my job. All of sudden my days were disapperaing for no reason and I asked and she changed her mind and let me work and then my next day working when I check my days I had were wiped clean and no one could give me an answer. I called my leads and they said call the manager well the manager was on vacation. So I called the DM and he called my manager and she just told me off for no reason. I then called home office HR and told them give me my personal file and they found no write ups and told me to make a note of my problem with my manager so I did. My manager and her boss said I need to talk over the phone not come in and talk face to face. So I decided to record the conversation as in my state you can record a verbal conversation without telling them as long as it you are part of it. Well my manager told me the the store was upset with me and the police were looking for me and if she schedule me I will be taken out in handcuffs for cyberharrassment. Cyberharrassment is not a law in my state and an interviewer poked into my facebook with unneeded paraniodness to not hire me so I decided to reverse the issue and give her a first glance attitude of my atttide and it was against their company policy to begin with. They don't like my honest to a fault attitude and want me to lie WTH? She came into the store I worked in an saw I worked there and decided to create her own lies and law against me and work with the managers in that store and my manager just to get rid of me. I have my manager and the managers of that store telling me the police are looking for me and I have the police saying we don't know what you are talking about.

Default Re: Undesirable Issue. I Was Slandered in My Job. What Do I Do

I have the police saying we don't know what you are talking about.
    I don't know what you are talking about either. Where is the slander mentioned in the title?

They don't want you there. Get another job. You have no case.

Maybe she lied about the police looking for you and that's why they don't know what you're talking about. If that's the case, it isn't slander and it's not illegal. You have no legal recourse for this.

Agree; based just on what you posted, I don't see any slander either.

Default Re: I Was Slandered in My Job - What Do I Do

Quote Quoting JP1226
    View Post
    . . . So I called the DM and he called my manager and she just told me off for no reason. I then called home office HR and told them give me my personal file and they found no write ups and told me to make a note of my problem with my manager so I did. My manager and her boss said I need to talk over the phone not come in and talk face to face. So I decided to record the conversation as in my state you can record a verbal conversation without telling them as long as it you are part of it. Well my manager told me the the store was upset with me and the police were looking for me and if she schedule me I will be taken out in handcuffs for cyberharrassment. Cyberharrassment is not a law in my state and an interviewer poked into my facebook with unneeded paraniodness to not hire me so I decided to reverse the issue and give her a first glance attitude of my atttide and it was against their company policy to begin with. They don't like my honest to a fault attitude and want me to lie WTH? She came into the store I worked in an saw I worked there and decided to create her own lies and law against me and work with the managers in that store and my manager just to get rid of me. I have my manager and the managers of that store telling me the police are looking for me and I have the police saying we don't know what you are talking about.
    What U.S. state are you posting from, JP? The name of your state is necessary to determine if there is any law that covers cyberharassment. Most states now have cyberharassment laws.

Did you write anything on Facebook (or elsewhere) about your place of employment that could have been a cause for concern for your manager and the store? Is it possible that the police were contacted by your manager or the store over what you wrote on Facebook (or elsewhere)?

If not, did your manager communicate to the boss or the store that you were under investigation for cyberharassment if, in fact, you are not under investigation?

What you have written is a bit confused. Could you please restate very simply what it is that was said about you, to whom it was said, and what you think could have spurred the comments? Generally when defamatory comments are made, they will have some sort of basis - they do not come out of thin air.

Thanks.

I live in Georgia. I found out that an past HR manager went into my facebook to avoid hiring me and save the company on a background check as I have no background she wanted to pry into my personal life. So I thought and challenged it in her Home Office. Her boss was against it, but I had no proof so I dropped it and decided to just think well if she went into my facebook she must have one. So I sent her a few I guess childish, but non-threatening messages. She then happen to come into the store when I was working and decided to make a report of what I was doing on my off time to begin with. I did not put where I worked at in my facebook. Anyway I guess they heard about cyberharrassment laws, but Georgia has not passed a law against cyberharrassment as of yet the police even told me unless they are a minor or you are threaten bodily harm they can't do anything. My best guess is that they thought they could get rid of me by saying the police were going to be called and arrest me if I came back to work. I did get transfered, but it took 3 months and no income. I feel as long as I do things on my time that are legal my employer should not interfer. If I rep the company 24/7 I should be paid 24/7. Maybe I should get a lawyer to figure this out. How would anyone feel if they got terminated because the police were looking for them and the police told them we aren't looking for you.

Your employer can fire you anytime they choose to as long as it is not based on illegal discrimination. There is nothing illegal about them reading your Facebook page and taking action based on what you post there.

I'm not seeing anything they are doing as illegal and I see no action available for you.

You find it legal to make up a law and scaring your boss to not schedule you until you go to the police to remedy a made up issue? It made people think I was a criminal and should be behind bars. Yes maybe cyberharrassment should be illegal in my state, but it isn't. The legal department of the company was involved as she made my boss transfer me to keep the relationship good as the store writes my company's contract.

Quote Quoting JP1226
    View Post
    I live in Georgia. I found out that an past HR manager went into my facebook to avoid hiring me and save the company on a background check as I have no background she wanted to pry into my personal life. So I thought and challenged it in her Home Office. Her boss was against it, but I had no proof so I dropped it and decided to just think well if she went into my facebook she must have one. So I sent her a few I guess childish, but non-threatening messages. She then happen to come into the store when I was working and decided to make a report of what I was doing on my off time to begin with. I did not put where I worked at in my facebook. Anyway I guess they heard about cyberharrassment laws, but Georgia has not passed a law against cyberharrassment as of yet the police even told me unless they are a minor or you are threaten bodily harm they can't do anything. My best guess is that they thought they could get rid of me by saying the police were going to be called and arrest me if I came back to work. I did get transfered, but it took 3 months and no income. I feel as long as I do things on my time that are legal my employer should not interfer. If I rep the company 24/7 I should be paid 24/7. Maybe I should get a lawyer to figure this out. How would anyone feel if they got terminated because the police were looking for them and the police told them we aren't looking for you.
    JP, I think the fact that you tracked down and then sent the HR manager messages (childish and non-threatening as they may have been) could have caused legitimate concern and led to your transfer. It could also have resulted in your firing so, from that perspective, you were probably lucky you only went without income for three months while waiting for the transfer.

While Georgia does not have a cyberharassment law as such, they do have Georgia Code 16-5-90, which addresses contacts without consent for the purpose of harassing or intimidating a person. It does not necessarily have to involve threats of physical harm if the person feels threatened or intimidated by the communications.

I do not think there is enough, based on what you have written here, for a prosecutor to charge you with any crime and I also do not see a defamation cause of action for you to pursue. You can consult with an attorney in your area for a personal review of the situation, however, if you feel your reputation has been damaged severely and want to see if there are other legal options for you to consider.

I, however, would probably chalk this up to an unpleasant learning experience for all involved and move on. I wish you good luck and much success in your new location.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast