Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Denied Medical Treatment While in Custody

I was arrested a few months ago for public intox. I happen to be a disabled veteran. After I was arrested, I informed the officer that I was a disabled veteran and that I had medication that I have to take in the PM; he ignored me. Upon arrival at the jail, I also informed the jailers of the same information 3-4 times while detained. I even asked them to call the VA to confirm if they wished to do so. They ignored me. What can I do?

Default Re: Denied Medical Treatment While in Custody

conduct yourself so as not to be arrested

Police officers are not medical doctors. If you need obvious medical treatment, they will give it to you. Otherwise, you wait. I suggest you avoid getting arrested.

what was the medication, what was it for, and what was the result of being denied your medication?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    what was the medication, what was it for, and what was the result of being denied your medication?
    The medication are antipsychotics for PTSD. The result was severe psychological distress.

And as far as "conducting" myself in a certain manner... I was outside waiting on my DD when I was, what most would call, "poached". But thank you for your wealth of knowledge.

So these are antipsychotic meds that you take regularly? And they go well with alcohol?

Generally speaking, a doctor would be negligent administering meds, to an intoxicated person.

Quote Quoting nsnewo
    View Post
    The medication are antipsychotics for PTSD. The result was severe psychological distress.

so, no actual injury and once you got back on your meds, things got back to your normal, right?

They are medications that I take regularly. As with any medication, it is suggested to avoid alcoholic beverages. However, I've drank alcoholic beverages in the past with no negative side affects. I rarely drink and when I do, it's in moderation. On this occasion I had 6-7 beers. Since posting this I have found out that in my state, and any other state, it is illegal to refuse medical treatment to a detainee. I had not attempted to assault anybody and/or tried to cause and/or verbally voiced any intent of assaulting anybody. Therefore they have no justifiable reasons for refusing me medical treatment. One of the two charges I have been charged with is a serious charge that is based on the monetary value of damage I incurred after my arrest. They are refusing to drop the charge (Even if I'm willing to pay for said damages.), they say because of the way I acted at the jail. This may be a poor analogy, but if someone has a heart condition, informs you of said condition, the officers refuse them treatment, in turn, they have a heart attack. Is it their fault that they suffered the heart attack? Of course not. I fail to see how this would be any different. Also keep in mind, I have no criminal history whatsoever.

Yes, you must be provided medical care for injury or illness, not for ongoing treatment. And NO law enforcement agency or jail is going to give you YOUR medication - they have no idea what it is. If you are going to be staying for any time (usually at least a day or more) then you should have an opportunity to see a medical professional. However, since you were popped for public intoxication, I imagine that you were not in custody very long. If you can successfully (and with a straight face) argue that it was the delay in taking your meds that caused your distress and NOT the alcohol combined with your PTSD, then go ahead and consult some attorneys. If the attorneys tell you they want payment up front, that's a clue you have no case.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast