Angry Videotaping My Boss Stealing at Work

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: ohio

I work for a very condescending boss. He makes everyone miserable. I could give some more detail but you get the point. I am in a union I do not trust. Where I work, cronyism and nepotism are rampant. I have dealt with his type of boss before and could just continue to grin and bear it. But some of the things he says to other employees and his general warped sense of the world just struck a nerve one day. Nothing vengeful, something much deeper. I began to think that when I am leave from there, others will have to endure the same treatment as myself and I started to feel a sense of obligation to those who would come after me. No not a hero complex, just a sense of duty to my fellow brother/sister. I know or I at least I think I know that if I go through the proper channels and file a complaint against him, either a union grievance, HR complaint or EOE that no one will come forward to back up my complaint. Mainly because of a fear of not wanting to risk their jobs or being singled out as a traitor. I understand their concerns and respect their decision to not help out. So I decided that if I am going to stick my neck out and risk loosing my job and perhaps gaining a reputation of a whistle-blower (not sure what I would be) which doesn't exactly look good to potential employers. I thought I would place cameras in our 'work area' and film him performing illegal activities which includes theft. Everyone knows he takes things from the shop. I walked in on him once filling up his truck with company gas and I have stood there and watched him load his truck with company property. I want to know would these videos be admissible in court? I think they would not be because it is on work property and I did not ask permission to place the cameras. Could I be sued or face jail time for this? That being said I could still copy and send the videos, illegal or not, to HR, higher-ups, news stations, etc. and at least his actions would be exposed and perhaps he would be looked at more thoroughly by upper management. This question also pertains to audio recordings obtained at work. This may sound sneaky or under-handed and I would agree but I have dealt with these types of people before. People who use their power to belittle and crap on everybody and I am thankful that I am strong enough to not let it get me down too much. But I want to do something against this and honestly these types have all the cards and everything seems to go their way. Therefore I say fight fire with fire and any advice would be most graciously appreciated. Thank you taking the time to read this post.

Default Re: Videotaping Boss Stealing at Work, Admissible in Court

Yes, you can get into trouble, and you can be legally fired. This would also perhaps disqualify you from UI.

If you want to record audio at work, you need permission from EVERY SINGLE PERSON involved.

Your thought of fighting fire with fire is misplaced; you are not equal in this situation.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom, although I was saddened by it. I suppose I will have to go through the proper channels but not until I read up on HR, company and union policies. Thanks for pointing out the cliff I was ready to walk off of.

I know you're feeling what you're feeling, but yes you must go through the proper channels.

Good luck - and I mean that sincerely. Watch what you do

send a short anonymous letter to someone way up the food chain at the company about the thefts, even very lax companies will respond to high value thefts and surely by now someone has noticed the "unusual rate of equipment breakdown" into the bosses truck.

In my experience, such a letter will go into the circular file.

thank you for your reply. I think it could work yet I also think it probably will go to the 'circular file' as stated below. However, I shall leave all options on the table. At least I am getting solid advice to narrow my choices. Once I start this there is no turning back and I need to get all the facts I can. Everyone here who provides such knowledge and insight on their own time are truly a credit to the humanity in my book. I did not think I would ever find an outlet to get such useful feedback to an already complicated and seemingly impossible situation. Thanks to all!

I had an experience where I kept track of my supervisors mistakes, and was able to make copies of them. They all had her Dad's (her boss) signature of approval on them.

I went in alone on a weekend, printed reports and UPS reports showing significant increases in costs when she took over certain tasks from me.

When I was fired for looking for another job....I mailed the package to the Company VP. Within 2 weeks, Personnel Manager and Daughter were fired.

Remember, I had a lot of evidence of the abuse.

1. Sponsored Links