Default Can You Get Unemployment After Receiving State Disability Insurance

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

Hello,

Long story short: I went on temporary disability(SDI) in the state of CA following an accident/injury(not work-related). I was receiving SDI benefits for a year(the limit) which ended In May 2012. My employer terminated me(they were unable to hold my position open) while I was still on disability in August 2011. I have not worked since that job(held for 6 years) and have relocated to a different state. Is it too late for me to apply for unemployment?

I hope that was sufficient information. Thank you.

Default Re: Am I Eligible/is It Too Late to Apply After Having Been on Sdi

Just for clarification - you have not WORKED (I'm not concerned with disabilty payments right now, just wages) since May of 2011?

Yes, I have not worked since May 2011. I was terminated in August 2011. Thank you for the reply.

There are two prongs to eligiblity for UI benefits. While you would likely qualify for one (loss of employment through no fault of your own) it is quite unlikely that you will FINANCIALLY qualify since you have not had any wages paid in for more than six quarters. You can apply - there's no harm in applying. But if you are entitled to any benefit at all (which is not likely) it will be a very, very small one.

CA will adjust the base period used when a claimant was on disability. The bigger question really is: are you able te work?

I'm back with a VERY late reply. I had a completely unrelated medical problem which required surgery but am fine now.

Yes, I am able to work and searching for work.

I have yet to apply. If my last day worked was in May 2011 what would the base period be? What reason should I give for applying late and for my termination? I was terminated because my FMLA expired and I was unable to return to work at that time. Any other advice? We have fallen on difficult times and I'm very afraid that I won't be able to get assistance until I can find employment. Thank you.

The only advice I have for you is to file and see what the EDD says. Unemployment is never retroactive so every week you don't file is a week you won't receive benefits for even if you are approved.

1. Sponsored Links