Default Lease Terms Differ from Advertised Special

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

I recently leased a new car. Here is what happened:

The car was advertised via a national lease special by a major auto manufacturer. Zero money down, no money upfront, first months lease paid etc. as the dealership didn't have the particular car that was advertised I was told to wait a day and they would get the car from a different dealer. When I signed the lease documents the mileage clause read 10k per year and 0.20 for every mile over the allowed (this is a 42 month lease). A few weeks later a friend asked me about the lease as he was interested as well to get a car from this dealer when I mentioned the leases mileage clause he told me the advertised special called out 12k per year. So I went back to the dealer, initially the sales person told me no problem they would change it. A few hours later the Assistant Sales Manager called me back saying there is no way of changing my lease now....too late in the game. So far even after talking to the General Sales Manager they say sorry this is it - no changes. The difference could potentially cost me another $1,400 at the end of the lease.

Do I have any legal recourse to make the dealership honor the deal that was advertised? Small claims court?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Default Re: Lease Terms Differ from Advertised Special

Quote Quoting me029
    View Post
    The car was advertised via a national lease special by a major auto manufacturer
    So this promotion came from the manufacturer, not from the dealership? (A regional or national sales incentive?) And the sale is through a leasing agent owned, controlled and/or partnered with the manufacturer?
    Quote Quoting me029
    So I went back to the dealer, initially the sales person told me no problem they would change it. A few hours later the Assistant Sales Manager called me back saying there is no way of changing my lease now....too late in the game.
    At this point, assuming this was in fact a manufacturer's special, it generally makes sense to go up the food chain to the manufacturer.
    Quote Quoting me029
    Do I have any legal recourse to make the dealership honor the deal that was advertised?
    Possibly, depending upon the full facts.
    Quote Quoting me029
    Small claims court?
    You don't have any damages at present. Theoretical future mileage charges aren't recoverable - you haven't paid them.

1. Sponsored Links