Default Mother is Incarcerated - Who is Entitled to Support Arrears Payment

My question involves child support in the State of: Kentucky

My sister is currently in prision on a 3 year sentence. Her exhusband owed her $10k in back child support and recently paid the balance in full. The child turned 18 about 1 month before he paid the balance. Who is entitled to the payment/money? My sister or is her daughter entitled to the payment/money? Her daughter says she has been advised that this money belongs to her since it is "child support" but my sister paid for everything on her own while her daughter was growing up. Her daughter is now threatening to her mom to court and sue her for this money. Thank you in advance for any help or information.

Default Re: My Sister is Currently in Prision and Her Exhusband Just Paid $10,000 in Arrears

It belongs to your sister of course. She's the one who raised the child. The money is repayment of money that should have been going to your sister while the daughter was still a minor.

Default Re: Mother is Incarcerated - Who is Entitled to Support Arrears Payment

Quote Quoting Floridaa1a
    View Post
    . Her daughter is now threatening to her mom to court and sue her for this money..
    tell daughter to go ahead and sue. Hopefully she will face a judge that is outspoken and will correct the daughters terrible misconception that she is somehow owed this money.

The money belongs to your sister. "Child support" is not paid to the children, ever. The daughter is not entitled to one thin dime. And if you want to send the daughter here, we'll all be glad to tell her that.

Or, of course, you can let the judge do it as jk suggested.

Quote Quoting Floridaa1a
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Kentucky

My sister is currently in prision on a 3 year sentence. Her exhusband owed her $10k in back child support and recently paid the balance in full. The child turned 18 about 1 month before he paid the balance. Who is entitled to the payment/money? My sister or is her daughter entitled to the payment/money? Her daughter says she has been advised that this money belongs to her since it is "child support" but my sister paid for everything on her own while her daughter was growing up. Her daughter is now threatening to her mom to court and sue her for this money. Thank you in advance for any help or information.
    What you want to bet that it was daddy who told her she was entitled to the money? No, as the others have said, she absolutely is not entitled to the money.

1. Sponsored Links