Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Clueless Federal Government

I'm sorry, Pandy. I apologize.

I've been poorer than a Really Flippin' Poor Thing. Because I'm a legal immigrant who hasn't yet managed to get the full 40 quarters, I fall through a lot of gaps - I don't qualify for food stamps, SSI or SSDI.

I'm not physically able to work and yet I can't get disability. I'm lucky that my husband and I live very simply on his one wage.

There was a time where life consisted of Salvation Army meals and food banks. Clothing vouchers for the Salvation Army stores (y'all have to move to Fargo - you would not BELIEVE what you can get for the $29 voucher - you get two per year - at their store!!!!).

I've been there, and done that.

I do think though that much of the financial strain comes from misspending in far too many cases. Y'know?

Yes, there are a lot of people who overspend.

I had a friend who charged his way through college, one SUV died - so what did he do - bought a ridiculously expensive new SUV! 43, living at home the entire time. He's been in debt since he was in his early 20's. He has a good paying job, too.

I've always bought everything on sale or clearance, used coupons. Always had a budget.

I'm legal US Citizen, I've tried for Social Security Disability twice, and Temporary Disability Assistance right after the car accident. I've been denied every time. Doggie, you won't get Food Stamps now - the wording on Immigration forms is that you need no assistance for 10 years, I remember signing that when I brought the ex-hub over.

I sold a few things on EBay, and my 33's to a friend with a music store, and put the money towards my credit card bill.

My hugs to you.

And yeah - the poster who said everyone who is poor and stupid will remain poor and stupid - my mom lost her house (a single wide mobile home) because we both got laid off from our jobs, and then she broke her hip 4 months later, leaving her completely unable to work. Soc Security Disability does not pay much. So again, you never know what will happen. Many people are losing their jobs, then losing their homes.

What I find offensive is the linking between "poor" and "stupid".

Me too. I can only hope that poster never has a sudden job loss. Even sudden medical bills. I once had to drain my bank account due to dental work.

Patriot1776;682698]I think the bigger issue it the feds being involved in every aspect of our life's
    so sorry that they provide you with benefits of the social security system, and defend your freedoms from attack by other countries, and built that nice interstate highway system, and.....

not to mention you shouldn't have to pay a tax on your income in the 1st place it's an illegal tax
    .Um, I think that has been tried already. If you win the argument with the court, let us know.

my belief is that most American are in poverty because of poor policies and Corrupt government
    so, are the people that are wealthy also due to the poor policies and corrupt government?

Banks used to have Christmas Clubs where you paid a set amount each week. Many people spend about $10 a week on stuff they cannot account for like coffee, gum or soda. If that person set aside that same $10 for 52 weeks they would have $520 saved up for holiday spending. Granted, its not going to be enough for the newest electronics, but it is enough to put some nice things under the tree and a good meal on the table. Most kids get it that parents are struggling to pay bills.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3