Post Collecting Unemployment from Calif After Finishing Work in Afghanistan for Us

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Calif I work in Afghanistan for a US contractor on a military base. My contract is for 6 months and can be renewed at the completion of each 6 month cycle. Employer is based out of South Carolina, and hires 40,000 workers from throughout the US to support the US military. I live in Calif and have been working in Afghanistan for 1 year 4 months.When I complete my contract can I collect unemployment benefits from Calif when I go home there?

Default Re: Collecting Unemployment from Calif After Finishing Work in Afghanistan for Us

This is a really good question. A friend of a friend that was living AZ got a job with a company based in IL and was working in Hong Kong. When he was released, he ended up collecting from IL rather than AZ.

I don't know the specifics, but if nothing else, IL pays a higher weekly rate than AZ would have, so I don't know if he had a choice where to file.

What I can tell you is that you would probably be eligible for benefits somewhere. However, I do have concerns about this, "renewed at the completion of each 6 month cycle." If you chose not to renew because you're tired of being there, I'm pretty sure that's going to be adjudicated as a quit, and will really complicate things.

Default Re: Collecting Unemployment from Calif After Finishing Work in Afghanistan for Us

I don't know if this really answers the question or not but this is from California's EDD website:

Interstate

These claims can be filed in California against earnings from another state. An unemployed New Yorker who just moved to California will file an "Interstate Claim."
    to me, that would mean you do not have to have income attributable to California to be able to file an interstate claim.

While you can file an interstate claim, don't do it.

Interstate claims create problems with the EUC extensions. I've been involved in at least two claims of this type. A claimant was collecting from CO/NY, and each state said the other was reponsible for the EUC extension, and I don't think he ever got a nickle of his extended benefits. The other claimant had a claim with VA/NJ, and the same thing happened.

When there are no extensions on the table, it probably doesn't matter, but extensions are in effect until the end of 2012, so keep that in mind when filing that you might get ripped off if you need them.

Quote Quoting chyvan
    View Post
    While you can file an interstate claim, don't do it.

Interstate claims create problems with the EUC extensions. I've been involved in at least two claims of this type. A claimant was collecting from CO/NY, and each state said the other was reponsible for the EUC extension, and I don't think he ever got a nickle of his extended benefits. The other claimant had a claim with VA/NJ, and the same thing happened.

When there are no extensions on the table, it probably doesn't matter, but extensions are in effect until the end of 2012, so keep that in mind when filing that you might get ripped off if you need them.
    I have had no trouble with EUC and an interstate claim (personal experience)

You are speaking of a combined state claim where there are multiple states you have reported income attributable to. That is different than an interstate claim if if only one state is involved.

The thing is, he may not have a choice but to file an interstate claim. If the employer did not report his income to California and pay California UI taxes, there is nothing in the California coffers to draw from.

the end of what year?

Well I can't fix it now. It was supposed to be 2013.

1. Sponsored Links