Default Threatened With Eviction Over Damage Bill for Prior Rental With the Same Landlord

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Ohio

My wife and I rented an apartment for roughly 4 years. We put in a transfer request to rent a house. Our apartment is one of 16 in a single building. The landlord did an inspection prior to us moving out and everything was fine. We moved into one of the landlord's houses and signed a 1 year lease. Now the landlord is saying we owe almost 700 dollars in damages for the apartment and is saying if we don't pay the 700 dollars that he will not accept next month's rent and start the eviction process on our current lease.

Can a landlord evict us for repairs to his apartment after we already started a new lease with him on a house?

We never had bedbugs and landlord is saying we left the apartment infested with bedbugs. Can he charge us for bedbugs even though there are 11 other apartments in same building?

The carpet in the apartment is nearly 9 years old. Can he charge us for damage to the carpet where seams are at? (carpet started to fall apart at seams.)

Default Re: Threatened With Eviction Over Damage Bill for Prior Rental With the Same Landlord

Quote Quoting us11csalyer
    View Post
    My question involves an eviction in the state of: Ohio

My wife and I rented an apartment for roughly 4 years. We put in a transfer request to rent a house. Our apartment is one of 16 in a single building. The landlord did an inspection prior to us moving out and everything was fine. We moved into one of the landlord's houses and signed a 1 year lease. Now the landlord is saying we owe almost 700 dollars in damages for the apartment and is saying if we don't pay the 700 dollars that he will not accept next month's rent and start the eviction process on our current lease.

Can a landlord evict us for repairs to his apartment after we already started a new lease with him on a house?

We never had bedbugs and landlord is saying we left the apartment infested with bedbugs. Can he charge us for bedbugs even though there are 11 other apartments in same building?

The carpet in the apartment is nearly 9 years old. Can he charge us for damage to the carpet where seams are at? (carpet started to fall apart at seams.)
    The bedbug issue is problematic as it would be nearly impossible to prove one way or the other.

He is only allowed to charge you a maximum of the depreciated value of the carpeting. Since carpeting fully depreciates out in far less than 9 years, he cannot charge you for that.

Default Re: Threatened With Eviction Over Damage Bill for Prior Rental With the Same Landlord

Thank you for your reply. My biggest concern is if he can legally evict us for damages to his apartment after he allowed us to move into one of his rental houses and we signed a year lease.

EDIT: while I agree that we do owe for some damages and are willing to pay for them as early as tomorrow, most of the items he listed are false. Another example is he is trying to say we owe 60 dollars for 8 patio blind veins. I priced it out and for 60 dollars I could install a new patio blind rail and all new veins from lowes.

View Post
    Thank you for your reply. My biggest concern is if he can legally evict us for damages to his apartment after he allowed us to move into one of his rental houses and we signed a year lease.

EDIT: while I agree that we do owe for some damages and are willing to pay for them as early as tomorrow, most of the items he listed are false. Another example is he is trying to say we owe 60 dollars for 8 patio blind veins. I priced it out and for 60 dollars I could install a new patio blind rail and all new veins from lowes.
    You cannot really use what you could pay doing the work yourself as an argument. A landlord is not required to do the work themselves and therefore are allowed some installation costs.

However, again, the carpeting is something they cannot charge you for at all. If they were to attempt to evict you, its a case that you might very well win...particularly if you pay for whatever damages you know are valid.

The landlord has on staff workers that get paid to do these types of things. My landlord is http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...e-Rentals.html

Interesting question, and I don't really know the answer.

Was there something in the "transfer request" that addressed this? Is there something in the NEW lease that addresses this?

If not, my guess is--and this is just a guess--that you have a valid lease, and so "no", what happens under your old lease (for a different property) must have no effect on your new lease.

There is nothing in the lease. We decided to pay after thinking about it. If we do fight it and win the landlord more likely than not won't let us sign another lease for this house in 6 months. So we hope that since we are going to pay the 700 in a few days that when it is time to renew our current lease that the landlord will let us. I still don't understand that if the landlord thinks we did a 1,000 in damage why they'd rent a 150,000 dollar house to us.

View Post
    There is nothing in the lease. We decided to pay after thinking about it. If we do fight it and win the landlord more likely than not won't let us sign another lease for this house in 6 months. So we hope that since we are going to pay the 700 in a few days that when it is time to renew our current lease that the landlord will let us. I still don't understand that if the landlord thinks we did a 1,000 in damage why they'd rent a 150,000 dollar house to us.
    Your landlord wouldn't happen to be Huber would it?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Your landlord wouldn't happen to be Huber would it?
    Per the link posted in post #5, yes it is.

1. Sponsored Links