Default How Can I Prove Wich Roommate Changed the Lock on the Front Door

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of:
    California
    I live in a condo with myself and two other people but my roommate's desided to have two more be here with out the landlords or my permission.. they also changed the locks on the front door of the condo well I had left of three days... I call the Oceanside police and the roommates let me back in they had no permission to change any locks form the landlord... I have no new key... The police told them I could sue who ever changed the lock on the condos front door...

So how can I prove wish one changed the lock on the front door?

Default Re: How Can I Prove Wich Roommate Changed the Lock on the Front Door

You can't...so tell them all will be on the lawsuit and the ones who didn't do it will likely rat on the one who did.

Although for the life of me, I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by suing them for this and why the heck the police told you this.

Gail

Default Re: How Can I Prove Wich Roommate Changed the Lock on the Front Door

Fernando, ask the roommates for a key. If they don't give you one, maybe you can change the lock to one that YOU want, and then give them a key each - that way you'd have one. Or, talk to the landlord so that HE (or she) can install the locks that the landlord wishes. Clearly there is something more going on here and you might want to consider finding another place to live if this is going to be an ongoing problem.

Gail, the police likely said, "This is not a criminal matter. If you'd like, you can probably take them to civil court, but that's up to you."
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links