Default Can a City Fire Department Bill Me As a Non-Resident for Putting Out a Car Fire

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Michigan. My car overheated on the freeway and someone called the fire department. They put the fire out and now they want $572.67 for their work. Can they or their debt collector( Transworld Systems) make me pay?

Default Re: Can a City Fire Department Bill Me As a Non Resident for Putting Out a Car Fire

Can they bill you? They did bill you.

Turn the bill over to your auto insurance company, if you have not done so already, and see if they'll cover it as part of a comprehensive insurance claim.

Default Re: Can a City Fire Department Bill Me As a Non Resident for Putting Out a Car Fire

Absent a contract between you and the fire department which specifically prohibits the fire department from requiring you to pay for a service like this, of course they can make you pay!

Can they bill you? Sure they can - they provided a service while in their jurisdiction (it doesn't matter where you LIVE, it matters where your CAR was).

Can they MAKE you pay? No, they're not going to send goons to your home and twist your arm until you write a check. But they and their debt collector can take the normal steps regarding your credit and credit reporting to pressure you into doing so, and they can file a civil suit against you, win a judgment and proceed to do things like get garnishments, leins, etc.

Best bet, as above, is to submit the bill to your insurance company (that's WHY you pay for insurance, for them to cover stuff like this).

1. Sponsored Links