Default Can You Require the Other Parent to Provide Child Care During Your Parenting Time

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: North Carolina.

The mother of my child has primary custody of our child and does not work although able. Therefore, when I am at work and my child does not have school I take her to her mother's. The mother recently became opposed to this. When the child is in my custody and I am forced to send her to daycare/babysitter because I have to work to support my child and myself, should the cost of childcare be part of the already over $1,000 a month I pay her for child support or will I have to pay additionally? Thanks for any information/advice.

Default Re: Can You Require the Other Parent to Provide Child Care During Your Parenting Time

Quote Quoting PhilPetrides
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: North Carolina.

The mother of my child has primary custody of our child and does not work although able. Therefore, when I am at work and my child does not have school I take her to her mother's. The mother recently became opposed to this. When the child is in my custody and I am forced to send her to daycare/babysitter because I have to work to support my child and myself, should the cost of childcare be part of the already over $1,000 a month I pay her for child support or will I have to pay additionally? Thanks for any information/advice.
    No, the cost of child care during your time is not part of the child support you already pay. You have to handle that on your own time, mom is not required to provide that to you. Admittedly however, its strange that mom has decided that she is no longer willing to do so. I suspect that there is a backstory there.

You are responsible for all parenting costs on your time. Now, if child care costs are a regular issue on your time, that is something that can factor into a child support calculation, and you can certainly file for a modification of child support to allow that to factor in, but you need to be careful in doing that, particularly if your income has at all increased since child support was originally set.

Default Re: Can You Require the Other Parent to Provide Child Care During Your Parenting Time

Alternatively, it may make more sense to look at re-structuring visitation such that you have the child on your days off, eliminating the need for child care. Part of mom's resistance might be that she looks forward to some time to herself, and you not being able to take the child during your visitation time, when she's planning on the child NOT being with her, is crimping her time/plans. TALK to mom, and see if you two can come up with a workable solution - else care for the child, when the child is scheduled to be with you, is going to fall on you, or, more correctly, on your wallet.

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    Alternatively, it may make more sense to look at re-structuring visitation such that you have the child on your days off, eliminating the need for child care. Part of mom's resistance might be that she looks forward to some time to herself, and you not being able to take the child during your visitation time, when she's planning on the child NOT being with her, is crimping her time/plans. TALK to mom, and see if you two can come up with a workable solution - else care for the child, when the child is scheduled to be with you, is going to fall on you, or, more correctly, on your wallet.
    I disagree with this advice a bit. Part of being a parent is taking care of your child on working/school days as well as days off. Its not fair to the children or the parents for one of them to get the bulk of non-working/non-school quality time. Dad simply needs to deal with childcare on his time.

Mom has primary custody. Dad hasn't indicated what visitation he has, but if he has standard visitation (alternating weekends, one midweek evening) and his work schedule is such that the child is spending much of that time in child care, it's not unreasonable to suggest that he to try to rearrange his schedule for the weekends when he has the child. He's not really getting the advantage of weekend visitation if he's working most or all weekends when he has parenting time, and neither is the child.

1. Sponsored Links