Default Why Can't an Adult Get Disability Benefits Based on a Childhood Condition

This is about child's insurance.

Basically I did the benefits calculator and it says that since I'm married I can't get monthly benefits based on my grandma who raised me, but I can claim stuff from before I was married. See,my grandma is getting social security, every since I was a child, but the thing is that I have proof I was a disabled child because of mental illness, proof I'm disabled from mental illness again since the age of 25, but from like 18-25 I was doing pretty well and not getting treatment and no proof. I don't know how they would handle this case.

Default Re: Why Can't an Adult Get Disability Benefits Based on a Childhood Condition

If you no longer have a disability, that would be why you no longer qualify for a disability benefit.

Default Re: Why Can't an Adult Get Disability Benefits Based on a Childhood Condition

I DO have a disability. The problem is that if it is the same disability as an adult that is was as a child. There was a gap of a few years where I didn't have any treatment but I might have still had a few problems. One doctor that looked at both my childhood stuff and adult stuff had the opinion that it was the same problem as a child as in an adult.

if you cannot prove a disability for the period you want to file for, you will not be granted retroactive payments.

There was a gap of a few years where I didn't have any treatment but I might have still had a few problems.
    I have no idea what problems you have or had but since you were not under treatment and admittedly were not disabled (might have still had a few problems), you are not going to get retroactive payments. A diagnosis itself is not generally adequate to allow SSDI. There has to be a proven disability. A diagnosis does not do that.

It is not simple for minor children to get benefits on a grandparents' record since a grandparent does not have any legal liability to support the child - that is the parents' job. If the parents' either fail at their job or are not available to do the job, it is nice for a grandparent to step in, but that does not either create a legal or moral obligation to support the child.

A married adult is usually no longer dependent upon a parent, let alone a grandparent. If there is any moral or legal obligation for support, it would be from the spouse. For any auxilliary to qualify for benefits on someone else's earnings, there has to be an age and dependency determination made. And, there has to be a loss of support available from the working person, the parent or the spouse, due to their own death, disability or retirement.

You stated that your grandmother herself was already on Social Security when you were a child. So she chose to support you after she was no longer able to work. So even if you were her child and not her grandchild, you didn't experience the loss of her support because she was no longer able to work.

And perhaps your problems started as a child. That doesn't mean that you were severely disabled as a child. You did manage to get married and manage an adult life. Perhaps it is because you stopped getting treatment that your condition deteriorated. It is the symptoms of the illness, not the name of the illness that determines whether or not someone is disabled. For instance, one person with diabetes works every day and manages their illness with medication and diet. Another person with diabetes goes to dialysis three times a week and is legally blind. Both have diabetes. One is disabled, one is not.

A doctor's current opinion that today's problems are related to childhood issues is not sufficient evidence that you were severely disabled before age 22. Evidence that you are disabled at age 25 is not evidence that you were disabled at age 17 and did not have any improvement. Even you say you were doing pretty good from age 18 to age 24.

Give up the idea that you can get Social Security benefits on a grandparent. You are not her natural or adopted child, you do not have evidence dated before age 22 that you were severely disabled, and you are married.

- - - Updated - - -

There are adults who can get benefits from a deceased, disabled or retired parent. Those are children who had a severe disability before age 22 that has not improved (Down's syndrome, cerebral palsey, spinal cord injury, blindness, etc.); never married or only married to another entitled disabled adult child; did not work and perform substantial gainful activity. They can be and are entitled on a parents' record.

My grandmother was my legal guardian. My parents were deemed too disabled from their own mental illness to take care of me. Second as a child my mental disabilities were bad enough that I had to get special education and personal aide support. during that period of time where I didn't have treatment, I still had some social skills problems and some problems with attention. As an adult, I am disabled enough that I currently received SSI. Just because I am married doesn't mean I'm not disabled.

You are getting disability then. It is equivalent to what a person making minimum wage, not traveling to work or paying income tax is equal to. I suggest your spouse get a job.

You are not your grandmother's natural or adopted child. A legal guardian has the legal right to make many of the same decisions for a child as a parent does. But they are not a parent; they are a guardian. Even if you could establish dependency as a grandchild (proof that she paid for your support out of her own pocket, not from some government program before she became entitled to retirement benefits and that your parents were deceased or disabled), you are married. Marriage is a terminating event for any disabled adult child unless they marry another disabled adult child or SSDI beneficiary. As a married adult, you stopped being dependent upon your grandmother. None of that has anything to do with being disabled.

It is unlikely that you can meet the relationship or dependency requirements, whether or not you are disabled. The adults who qualify on even a parents' record have to prove that they were severely disabled before age 22 and never had any substantial improvement. Examples I gave previously, Down's syndrome, blindness, cerebral palsey, severe mental retardation; those are the obvious types that never improve. Other conditions are not so clear cut. Not all children who were in special ed as a child are considered disabled as an adult. Some get enough help or training that they can hold jobs and support themselves.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0200306000

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0200306235

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0301301000

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0300203001

1. Sponsored Links