Default When to Expect My Final Statement

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I moved out of my apartment November 1, 2012. About one week later I received an itemized estimate of the costs it would be and how much I would owe the landlord (company). It was $1800 total, which is $600 more than my deposit. I was under the impression that I was to receive something by the 21st day after vacating... either the final bill or a refund of my security deposit. It's been close to 2 months and I haven't received anything.... What is the law (I've tried to Google it) and what are my options?

Default Re: When to Expect My Final Statement

Within 21 days, your landlord is to provide you with an itemization with copies of receipts for the charges and deductions. If the repairs cannot be finished within the 21-day period, your landlord can provide a good faith estimate of the cost of repairs. Within 14 days of the completion of the repairs your landlord is to send you the receipts.

If you disagree with the charges, you can sue your landlord to try to recover money. If, on the other hand, you know that you are responsible for damages in excess of your deposit and that's all you've paid, you might not want to do that, lest you be countersued for the additional sum that your landlord has apparently not (yet) tried to collect.

I just want to make sure I fully understand. So they are supposed to give me a final statement by day 21, if not at least an estimate of what it could be. On top of that they have 14 days to give me the receipts? Could that "estimate" be the first one they gave me right after I moved out?
    I do not agree at all with the charges and will fight this.
    Either way, I should've received something by now right? So what would my next step be? Calling them up?

Again, "If the repairs cannot be finished within the 21-day period, your landlord can provide a good faith estimate of the cost of repairs".

1. Sponsored Links