Default Harassing Phone Calls Due to Facebook Dispute

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Connecticut

Howdy, all!

So, I have a really bizarre question and I do apologize if this is the wrong subforum for this -- I couldn't quite figure out how to describe this as this is unrelated to any criminal investigation.

This morning, I got into a dispute with a gentleman on Facebook over gun laws (yeah, yeah, I know, waste of time). I don't know this guy, he's some random NRA advocate. My privacy settings are set to not display my phone number to anyone, not even to my friends. He started getting personal in the discussion, so I ended my conversation with him, which he continued by himself for another hour. (I was raised to not debate with someone who can't control themselves enough to stay civil.)

A couple of hours later, I get a phone call from a number I'm not familiar with on my mobile. I answer it, and it's this same guy, who proceeds to rant and then hangs up. Now, I know he lives in Connecticut and he claims he's a firearms instructor who either works for or with law enforcement. I live in Oklahoma.

It's kind of weird and if it's a cop who's using police resources to find my unlisted mobile number, then it really concerns me. Especially when he was pretty vocal about his love for guns.

What should I do here? lol Sorry to give such a bizarre question, I'm at a loss about this one. Thanks for any help/assistance/insight!

Default Re: Possible Officer from Another State Making Harassing Phone Calls Due to Facebook

Quote Quoting WTHeck
    View Post
    A couple of hours later, I get a phone call from a number I'm not familiar with on my mobile. I answer it, and it's this same guy, who proceeds to rant and then hangs up. Now, I know he lives in Connecticut and he claims he's a firearms instructor who either works for or with law enforcement. I live in Oklahoma.

It's kind of weird and if it's a cop who's using police resources to find my unlisted mobile number, then it really concerns me. Especially when he was pretty vocal about his love for guns.

What should I do here? lol Sorry to give such a bizarre question, I'm at a loss about this one. Thanks for any help/assistance/insight!
    There are sites where you can pay for listings on cell phones, too. It's not all that difficult to do, and the police use the same resources. Absent a subpoena or a polite request from a cell phone provider (assuming they could find which one you have) the police have no magic database with cell phone numbers (though TV might hint otherwise).

About all you can do now is ignore it. If the calls continue, report the harassment to your local police. There may not be anything they can do, but maybe the local cops would be able to call this guy and tell him to knock it off.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Harassing Phone Calls Due to Facebook Dispute

If it's a Facebook page, he has your real name, right? So go to Google, enter your real name and then enter your cell number (e.g., Joe Smith, 555-555-1212) and see what comes up. If you get a hit, that's probably how he got your number.

Yeah, I googled my name and checked everything, including things like whitepages.com and 411, etc, and there's no listing for my mobile.

Hmm, not sure about those pay sites, I don't have access to any of that.

I guess that's what I'll do, thanks, cdwjava!

You might also find that your phone number is on your Facebook site. There are helper apps and the like that do contain that information, and many people accidentally leave this information unprotected.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    You might also find that your phone number is on your Facebook site. There are helper apps and the like that do contain that information, and many people accidentally leave this information unprotected.
    No, it's blocked. I double checked in a variety of ways, including making a fake facebook page and adding them as a friend. It's hidden for sure.

Who knows, it's all very weird to me. I mean, I don't really believe that anyone is truly anonymous on the internet, but it's very seldom I get reminded of my belief. haha

1. Sponsored Links