Default Accused of Fraudulent Return, Altering Receipt

I tried to return some apparels and boots. The manager accused me of returning items with an altered receipt and altering the date on the receipt of all things. Apparently the store started using different receipt paper within 3 weeks prior of my actual purchase according to the mgr and i had the old receipt and should of had the new one. Keep in mind that i was also at the "sister" store, i originally bought my items from the other store. I was in the area and decided to go to that store instead. This was the 1st time ever i returned anything to this store so i was not familiar with the return policy and it wasnt stated on the receipt either. It is a generic sales receipt. I had worn the boots i was trying to return, and i guess i mistakingly try to return a sweater with the wrong tags since i took it off. I had bought so many items that its possible it was wrong tag even though i swear it was the right one..anyhow the mgr accused me of switching tags and trying to return worn boots and altering a receipt. Ive returned things at Macys with the tags off and have worn them...if i wasnt happy with the items is the reason i brought it back. Again, not knowing the return policy, instead of explaining it to me, accused me of wrongdoing. It was embarrassing because i was accussed in front of other people. The manager than kept my receipt and made a copy and gave the copy to me..said she had to keep the original receipt?? i was pretty upset but my kids were with me and i did not want to cause a scene so i just left the store. I'm concerned what will happen next since she kept my reciept. Am i being falsely accussed and will they press charges later? I didnt do anything wrong.

Default Re: Accused of Fraudulent Return, Altering Receipt

You appear to be stating that you had some used boots and you decided you wanted some cash, so you found a receipt for some other item (perhaps not even an item you bought), changed the date on the receipt, grabbed a tag from some other product for a sweater you had been wearing, then attempted to return your used boots and the sweater using the fraudulent receipt and the incorrect price tag. You appear to be complaining that when the store manager pointed out that you were attempting a fraudulent return of used items, using the falsified receipt and false price tag, it was embarrassing. From the facts you have given, you were not falsely accused of anything - you have told us that you were deliberately attempting a fraudulent return of used merchandise.

Also, when you buy clothes at a store you are buying the clothes. You are not renting them. If you want to try to defraud the store by returning worn, used, or dirty clothes, and some stores grit their teeth and let you, they're entitled to make that their policy. But when you choose to buy and wear clothes, they're yours. You don't go back to your stack of price tags, hope you pluck the right one out, then return the dirty used item to the store as if it's in new condition.

Yes, when you're caught attempting a fraudulent return it can be embarrassing. And yes, when you choose to do this type of thing front of your children and are caught, well, we can all feel bad for your kids. Don't do that.

The store chose not to call the police at the time, and it's not clear what (if anything) they kept that would identify you if you they wanted to make a police report. When you choose to commit a crime you do run the risk that the police will become involved. If they didn't take your personal information, you're probably not going to be charged with anything. But next time you try to pull something like this, leave the kids at home. It's really unpleasant for kids to see their mom get arrested, even more so if the end up in a DSS office worried about whether a social worker is going to find a responsible relative to pick them up before they have to spend the night in foster care.

If you want to know the specific return fraud laws for your state, identify your state.

This was a consignment store so the items were already gently used. You cant get cash from the return, only exchange. I did not deliberately switch any tags. I took them off with the intention of keeping the item, however, never worn them. Anyhow, i double chkd myself and it was the coreect tags...I looked at the other stuff I kept and I remember how much everything cost. It could be the store put the wrong tags on when i bought it? Anyway, the same day I tried to return, I also tried to sell some items and they bought some clothes from me. The store policy is they have to get my driver license info so they have that information. Maybe is why she didnt bother getting any info from me because they had it already. I tried calling the store back and both managers are not in. Im trying to find out what they are planning to do next or i dont know if I should just leave it alone at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in California.

Quote Quoting Coffee123
    View Post
    This was a consignment store so the items were already gently used.
    That makes no difference. You're still buying, not renting, the items.
    Quote Quoting Coffee123
    You cant get cash from the return, only exchange.
    That would suggest that if you buy and use goods that you no longer want, you can consign them back.
    Quote Quoting Coffee123
    I did not deliberately switch any tags. I took them off with the intention of keeping the item, however, never worn them.
    If you want a store manager to believe that you switched tags "accidentally", it is best not to fraudulently alter the receipt you're using to return the item with the wrong tag. No accident there.
    Quote Quoting Coffee123
    Anyhow, i double chkd myself and it was the coreect tags...
    You just told us that you accidentally attached the wrong tag. Also, given that you were using the wrong receipt, assuming it was your receipt, even if the price was correct you would necessarily have purchased more than one item at the same price. Otherwise the price of the sweater would not have matched the price on the altered receipt.
    Quote Quoting Coffee123
    Anyway, the same day I tried to return, I also tried to sell some items and they bought some clothes from me.
    There you go. You could have consigned the boots back to the store along with your other items, if they were in a condition the store would accept for resale.
    Quote Quoting Coffee123
    Im trying to find out what they are planning to do next or i dont know if I should just leave it alone at this point.
    What is it that you hope to accomplish by contacting the store?

The mgr told me it wasnt the right tag, thats why I said that but I went hm and checked..it was the correct tag. The other items I bought were different prices. Even this tag had the color of the sweater which was oatmeal. I bought 2 other sweaters and they were blue so not sure what she is talking about. I wanted to call the mgr because the mgr that took my receipt told me to call the mgr at the original store i bought it from if i wanted to dispute it I guess. I found out that not all their stores changed receipt paper at the same time. Anyway, I did just get off the ph with the mgr who kept my receipt and now she said she wasnt accussing me of anything but she has to give my receipt to their district office because it wasnt a valid receipt so they can red flag it...doesnt make sense to me. She also continued to say, and was speaking very nice to me, that she doesnt have any of my info so I think it was her way of telling me to not worry bout it anymore..i'm only guessing..but I did give the sales associate my drivers license so not sure why she would say that...and she also made it clear i can no longer return the items because i dont have the origonal receipt. I was only concerned because I didnt know if they were planning to investigate further to eventually press charges when I didnt alter the receipt. I have to prove somehow the store did not change their receipt paper at the tome I purchased but I can't. Its their word against mine now.

- - - Updated - - -

The old receipt was smaller...the new receipt paper is bigger with their logo and bar codes along with return policy...the old receipt which i had did not have any of that info and i did not alter any prices on the receipt if that is what u are saying.

1. Sponsored Links