Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Caught with "pants down"

Hi, I was recently caught in a sting in the city of Detroit Michigan. The prostitute/bait was NOT in my vehicle. I passed her $5 and told her to watch from outside. She took the money and walked away and I drove off. Then I got pulled over a few blocks away and put in the back of a cop car. There was some lady who asked me a bunch of questions about exactly what happened. The officers told me they would take me to jail if I didn't answer correctly. Then I had to initial my own statements on her paper. They did read me my rights before this though. They towed the car and wrote me a ticket and let me go. I have a court date soon for an arraignment. I have no felonies nor prior convictions for anything, although I was also involved in something like this six years ago. That particular case was "dismissed" for some reason in court and nothing happened. I have a wife and child and am the sole breadwinner for our family. Can I go to jail for this? I am a scrawny IT guy and would not stand a chance in hell of going to prison. My wife knows about this all and is understandably very upset. I have recently been laid off (from full time to temporary-contract when they need me) so we are doing horribly on finances and cannot afford a lawyer. What advice can you give me please? Is it possible to request not going on my record and instead doing community service? My wife is making me go to counseling which I am doing so that I won't do those things again.

Default Re: Caught with "pants down"

You obviously have a problem with judgement and it is unlikely that counseling alone will change your underlying issues that compel you to such acts without thinking first. Ask that your counselor refer you for an evaluation, there are some disorders which may predisppose you to such behavior. Having a diagnosis may help you obtain a diversion program. If you are not working, you must find something useful to do with your time and community service may be just the thing.

A few years back, Detroit was attempting to forfeit the vehicles of people arrested while soliciting prostitutes. Wayne County's courts are very busy, and its jails are full - the odds of jail are quite low. You will probably be able to obtain help from a court-appointed lawyer, should you petition for a lawyer.

Thanks guys. Does it seem likely that my prior incident six yrs ago would be brought up in court and adversely affect the outcome?

-very nervous

Was it also in Detroit?

Of course it will be considered since it is a repeat of something similar, it will also be predicitve of your chances for rehab.

Yes it was in Detroit. It was dismissed though. I guess they don't really care about that, only that I was INVOLVED in something similar. So I suppose that may be reason for harsher punishment? Also, is it likely that any of those present at the scene of my unfortunate actions would be also present during my court dates? I definitely would not stand a chance then. I did not actually exchange money at this earlier incident and never admitted to anything. They indeed almost "let me go" at the scene six years ago, although one female cop objected at the time.

Also, although I cannot afford a lawyer, I did call one up who said that he could get me NO jail time and NO record for $800. Does this sound legit? What could he possibly say that could get me that deal? I guess that's why lawyers are costly they help you get out of what you yourself cannot.

The prosecutor will almost certainly know of a prior charge that was dismissed, particularly given that the charge is out of the same court.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible for a criminal defense lawyer to get some form of conditional dismissal or non-criminal resolution. Again, you should be able to petition for a court-appointed lawyer.

Thanks again for the advice. Now when I go to my arraignment, I understand that is only the FIRST of at least TWO times to the court? What is the best thing to say when at my arraignment? I have no experience in what to say. Last time I don't remember what I said, but I believe I said Not Guilty and the lawyer who was helping everyone there told the judge that he asked to dismiss the case for some reason or another. But this time, it seems like it's going to be a big scenario. I mean, why else would they make me confess things in the back of the cop car? To help build a winning case against me? Also, at what point do I petition for a court-appointed attorney?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast