Unhappy Proof Publication of Notice of Appointment and Notice to Creditors

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: WASHINGTON, D.C.

I am in a real pickle. I am the sole heir and Personal Representativeof my father's estate. I paid 2 newspapers 200+ dollars to run the Publication of Notice of Appointment, Notice to Creditors and Notice to Unknown Heirs in accordance with the DC Code. One newspaper dragged its feet in giving me the affidavit of proof. Despite many phone calls over 3 months, finally, I was sent the affidavit of proof. When I received it, about 2 weeks prior to the Court's deadline, the listing had all of the information correct, EXCEPT, in the body of the notice it had the estate of another person's name. I immediately contacted the person responsible for this notice. He said they would correct the notice, run it for the 3 consecutive weeks on the same day each week as the court required. Meanwhile, I had to submit what I had. A day or so later, the newspaper sent an affidavit with the corrected copy of the notice, but with the same original dates!!! I sent everything to the court including a chronology of my due diligence in this matter.

Today, I received a notice that there will be a summary hearing on January 28th regading my failure to comply with the reporting requirements, and that the action taken by the Court may include removal of me, the personal representative.

I need to know what I can do at this point to satisfy the Court. I could ask the Washington Post to run the notice, which I would have to pay for, then sue the other newspaper for its failure & lying affidavit. I could get a Probate Attorney, yet more expense. Help please, before I have to get a Valium!

Default Re: Proof Publication of Notice of Appointment and Notice to Creditors

How did the errors in the ad get past you?

Running a more expensive ad doesn't change the fact that the first ad was erroneous.

1. Sponsored Links