Default Problems With A Real Estate Agent

we signed an exclusive listing contract with our broker over six weeks ago and the house has only been shown twice (and not by him) and now he tells us that nobody is interested because the house is overpriced. of course he didn't tell us this when we listed the house and of course we never looked at the contract which sews us up for over six months with this guy. my house is in a luxury area and is on a substantial piece of property and cannot be seen from the road so i wonder where this assumption is coming from since only two people have laid eyes on this house and he has never spoken to either of them. our house is listed 100,000 dollars above appraissal which is low in this neighborhood and houses sell around here in a day with great bidding wars. he has given us attitude and said he believes it will sell for over 600,000 dollars less than the appraisal. sounds like he doesn't care if it sells or not. can we get out of this exclusive? we have a contract so i know he can sue us but it sounds like he is almost daring us to drop this price or be stuck (we have a new house that we are moving into in three weeks and he is aware of this). no broker open houses...no buzz...and no showings... feels like we are at the mercy of somebody that hates us. what can we do?

[edited by admin to combine threads]
    should also mention that we are in the state of new york.

also, the agency we signed with is reputable and we would stay with them...just wondered if we could remove him from the exclusive and give it to another agent in house. thanks

Default Problem with Agent

My first suggestion would be to go above the broker's head within the agency to register your complaints, and to see if they will assign a different broker to the file.

If not, I would consult a lawyer about the situation, because the last thing you want to do is end up in a situation where you are paying two commissions on the sale of your home (with a potential delay in the closing) because the broker is making a claim for a commission on a sale you arranged through another agency.

thanks again, aaron!

1. Sponsored Links