Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Completing Traffic School to Dismiss a Speeding Violation

My question involves traffic court in the State of: Washington

I received a traffic infraction earlier today (cited for 70 on a 60 mph stretch of the freeway in Snohomish county), and since it's my first one I've spent the last few hours trying to find information about how to best handle it.

I've run across this website: speedingtickethq.com and I'm curious if the advice there is actually helpful. Specifically, the site claims that:

To avoid high priced auto insurance rates and points on your driver record, follow these steps to dismiss your citation with Washington traffic school. Using Washington traffic school is a snap.

Step 1: Contact the Court
    The first thing is asking the court if you possible could take traffic school to dismiss your violation. The info to get hold of the court will likely be on the citation.

I plan an calling or even driving up to the court in the next few days, but I'm wondering whether this is actually likely to work. Paying some court fees and a fee for a few hours of traffic school would be preferable to seeing my insurance rates spike. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Completing Traffic School to Dismiss Speeding Violation (Washington State)

I really don't think that website is legit. They seam to be steering people to use their online traffic school. Of the few courts in this state that offer traffic school I don't know that any of them would accept a printed certificate. However that's just my opinion. I'd check out Berry's thread here: http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89115 read the whole thread! Then decide if you want to contest the ticket in court or ask for a deferral if you are eligible. Personally I would contest file for discovery and see if you have anything you can use to get the ticket dismissed. If not and you are eligible go for the deferral.

Default Re: Completing Traffic School to Dismiss Speeding Violation (Washington State)

Hi jjb, thanks for the reply.

Quote Quoting jjb
    View Post
    Personally I would contest file for discovery and see if you have anything you can use to get the ticket dismissed.
    That is plan A, but if I don't luck out with some mistake or technicality this seemed like a nice alternative, though it does sound a bit too good to be true.

Are the courts that offer traffic school listed somewhere so I could check if mine is amongst them? And as for a deferral, am I eligible so long as I haven't used it before and don't have a CDL? Or are there other requirements?

Not many courts offer traffic school in Washington.

Deferral requirements are no CDL and that you have not used a deferral for a moving violation in the past 7 years.

File contested and get your discovery request filed. Post the results here after redacting identifying information. Let us have a crack it.

From what I've read a judge has discretion over whether to grant a deferral request even if you are eligible. Is it common for such a request to be denied, particularly given the infraction I received?

And would you suggest I file the discovery request as soon as I receive the notification (i.e. it's not worth filing just before the deadline, hoping they don't send the requested documents in time)?

Deferral is up to the judge, yes. I have not heard too many stories where the judge took deferral off the table prior to a contested hearing actually starting. Generally once it begins, deferral is no longer an option.

You can file for discovery at any time. I always try to do it exactly 14 calendar days ahead of the hearing. However, this can be a double-edged sword. I have run into situations where the court schedules me at the closest possible date, leaving me less than 14 days to file by the time I get the notification for the hearing.

I believe there are only a few courts that allow traffic school -- Kent and Renton Municipal Courts, that I know for sure. However, it's my understanding that the officer who gives you the ticket will tell you that you are eligible. A co-worker recently got a ticket in Kent. The officer handed her a sheet of paper talking about the option -- pay $100, attend a four hour class (no online classes permitted), and the ticket is dismissed. My brother-in-law did much the same thing a few years ago in Renton (so I guess I don't know if it's still an option in Renton).

To my knowledge, I don't think traffic school is an option in District Courts.

Barry

Thanks Speedy and blewis.

My case is being handled by the Snohomish County District Court (South Division) and I didn't receive anything from the officer that would suggest such an option (I even specifically asked him about traffic school, he merely said I should refer to the infraction for my options). I suppose I can call the court clerk anyway, but I won't get my hopes up.

Just out of curiosity, why is this option allowed in some courts but not others?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also wondering if anyone here has met with the prosecutor prior to the contested hearing to work out some sort of plea deal, and if so what to expect during such a meeting.

Snohomish courts do not offer traffic school, but you are in luck about the deferral. The county is broke, so you pay the deferrral and your infraction is dismissed on the spot.

The prosecutor - not sure. I know he doesn't like me. I have beat him every time so I could not tell you if he deals. I think Brendan may have said something about it previously where they are willing to amend it to a seatbelt violation.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and forget about calling. They no longer staff the phones.

I haven't been in Snohomish County DC for quite a while, but this is my understanding from talking to Mr. Roe personally: A prosecutor should be at every state infraction hearing and in the interest of judicial efficiency will always offer amendment of the infraction to a lesser offense. It will mostly be an infraction that will not appear on your driving record (Seatbelt, No Tabs, Cell Phone).

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast