Default What Will Amount of Arrears Payment Be Once Child Turns 18

My question involves child support in the State of: Florida

My son turns 18 next year and I owe $12k in arrears due to loss of jobs over the years and my miltary payments to the mother were considered a "gift" (long story.... let's move on) so a good portion of the arrears is money she already collected.

Right now my arrears payment is set at $25 a week on top of my ordered amount. I contacted DCF to find out what happens on the day of his birthday and I am now confused and hoping someone who has been in my shoes can answer this.

I was just told that since my "arrears" payment arrangement is $25/week, that is what I will have to pay rather than the weekly child support amount I've been ordered to pay. So to clarify, rather than $150/week coming out of my check it will drop down to only $25/week on his 18th birthdayuntil the arrears are paid off?

Is this correct? I was under the assumption they'd keep the full support order amount of $150 so the arrears are paid off faster.

Default Re: Florida: What Will Amount of Arrears Payment Be Once Child Turns 18

You should file for CS termination once your child turns 18. At that point DCF will determine what the payments are to be to pay of the arrears. It may stay the same at $25.00 per week or it could remain at $150.00 per week to pay it off sooner.

Default Re: Florida: What Will Amount of Arrears Payment Be Once Child Turns 18

Quote Quoting SESmama
    View Post
    You should file for CS termination once your child turns 18. At that point DCF will determine what the payments are to be to pay of the arrears. It may stay the same at $25.00 per week or it could remain at $150.00 per week to pay it off sooner.
    If you have an older order you need to do what Sesmama said and file for termination. If your order is newer you dont need to do this. Does your order state a state and exact date that CS is to stop on say 1/2/2013 or upon reaching 18 or blah blah blah. Also I know of two people in this boat IN Florida. The income deduction stayed where it was originally to pay the back support back. I am not sure what statute is. From watching other people I have seen it stay where the current order is, until paid in full.

1. Sponsored Links