Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How Do I Qualify for Emancipation

My question involves emancipation laws in the State of: Tennessee

I'm 14, and I wish to be emancipated because in my household, there just simply isn't enough funds to support everyone. My mom constantly complains about how we don't have enough money, but she won't allow me to get a job until I'm 18. I go to an advanced high school, which requires us to supply a lot of things that my mother can not. I also would like a job so I can get a car when I'm 16. Right now, we have a lot of transportation issues as well. My school requires me to be a lot of places that I can't.
    Another things is, there is a lot of negativity in my household. I've spent the last two years cutting and have attempted suicide multiple times, simply to be away from my mother. She has caused a lot of emotional problems, and has put me under so much stress sometimes that I can't function to do my best at school.
    My question is, would I qualify for emancipation?
    What age would I need to be?
    If not, what would I need to qualify?

Default Re: How Do I Qualify for Emancipation

Quote Quoting ThatGirl_Kaytee
    View Post
    My question involves emancipation laws in the State of: Tennessee

I'm 14, and I wish to be emancipated because in my household, there just simply isn't enough funds to support everyone. My mom constantly complains about how we don't have enough money, but she won't allow me to get a job until I'm 18. I go to an advanced high school, which requires us to supply a lot of things that my mother can not. I also would like a job so I can get a car when I'm 16. Right now, we have a lot of transportation issues as well. My school requires me to be a lot of places that I can't.
    Another things is, there is a lot of negativity in my household. I've spent the last two years cutting and have attempted suicide multiple times, simply to be away from my mother. She has caused a lot of emotional problems, and has put me under so much stress sometimes that I can't function to do my best at school.
    My question is, would I qualify for emancipation?
    What age would I need to be?
    If not, what would I need to qualify?

No state will emancipate a 14 year old.

To be emancipated (assuming your state allows for it), you need to be fully self-supporting.

So, where would you live? How would you be affording rent? Utilities? Medical insurance? Food? Clothing?

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    No state will emancipate a 14 year old.

To be emancipated (assuming your state allows for it), you need to be fully self-supporting.

So, where would you live? How would you be affording rent? Utilities? Medical insurance? Food? Clothing?
    I'm aware, I believe the age is 16, I'm not sure though. I would like to get a job, and me and my baby's father can get an apartment.

Any chance you might have ever had for emancipation ended with the first suicide attempt. No court will even consider emancipating a minor who has exhibited suicidal tendencies, as this tells the court that your coping skills are nowhere near adequate to be considered capable of taking on ADDITIONAL responsiblities of self support.

Additionally, the fact that you've got a child at such a young age would also be a nail in the coffin for emancipation - so you're pretyt much automatically disqualified there too.

And finally, no judge is going to emancipate you so that you can go live with the man who already got you pregnant once.

Emancipation will not happen here.

You have a baby?

You've just guaranteed that you will not be emancipated.

Even if it was like, two an a half years ago?

Even if.

You're obviously not mature enough to be on your own. I'm sorry, I'm not saying that to be mean - but there is absolutely no chance that the court will emancipate you to go and live with your boyfriend.

I HAD a baby.

Doesn't change the legal reality.

Because I had a baby?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast